Tile - track stolen bikes?

BigLights
BigLights Posts: 464
edited June 2014 in Commuting chat
Can't help wondering, post the bike theft in Fulham on the other thread, whether this Tile thing might be a bit of a winner if you put one on your bike. Assuming it takes off, it should be quite feasible to use the 'community' thing to try and find it again.

http://www.thetileapp.com/#this-is-tile

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    That seems a pretty decent idea. May look into it further...
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Tile™ is a small device that you can attach to items that you may misplace and using the Tile iOS application, find.

Tile™ locations are updated using the Bluetooth radio connection between the Tile and the Tile App running on your iOS device. The Tile App "discovers" the Tile using the Bluetooth signal and then uses the services of the iOS device to update the location information for that Tile. The Tile needs to be within the Bluetooth range of approximately 100 feet of the iOS device to be discovered.

This is where the "Community Find" feature comes in to play. If any Tile community member running the Tile App comes in range of a Tile, their App will send an anonymous update of that Tile's location to our system, helping the owner to locate that item even if they are not nearby.

As the Tile Community of users running the app grows, the more effective our network will be in finding your lost item.

https://support.thetileapp.com/hc/en-us ... Tile-work-
  • Pufftmw
    Potentially good if there is a network for Stolen Bikes - Bikeradar?

Downside is the range, in that a suitably iPhone/iPad (only) equipped device must be within 100ft of the Tile to be able to handshake and send an update out.

I still like it though, can think of loads of personal uses for it.
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    Also, how would being stuck inside a bike frame affect the range? Lets be honest it would need to be lodged somewhere like down the steerer tube to prevent people from instantly removing it before the walk off with the bike.

I haven't had a proper look yet, but maybe making a variant that is curved would be an idea?
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    My son is forever misplacing his keys about the house, so I am in. Could be a useful birthday/christmas present idea too.
    I notice you get 1 free when buying 4. Shipping is $14.
    Anyone interested in joining me for $18.50 or $16.72 depending on whether we order 4 or 8?
    I am London based.
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    yh why not, im in...
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I would but no android support = i'm out
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Lancew wrote:
    Also, how would being stuck inside a bike frame affect the range? Lets be honest it would need to be lodged somewhere like down the steerer tube to prevent people from instantly removing it before the walk off with the bike.

I haven't had a proper look yet, but maybe making a variant that is curved would be an idea?

Cover it with epoxy and chuck it in?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • itboffin
    it would be wrong to superglue one to the back of your children ...yes/no? :roll:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Pufftmw
    itboffin wrote:
    it would be wrong to superglue one to the back of your children ...yes/no? :roll:

No!

Cut open a flap of skin at the nape of the neck, put it inside and sew it up again
  • itboffin
    As you have to replace them annually perhaps some Velcro?
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    There's a separate product being launched that I think will be useful for kids, being targeted at dementia patients for the moment. It's a GPS tracker, which you twin with an app on your phone. So, for example, an elderly relative can be tracked and you can upload regular routes (to the corner shop, all taht stuff) but if it deviates it will set off an alarm.

I can see this being extremely useful for kids. I've been thinking about developing something either based on long range bluetooth (like Tile) or possibly GPS for scenarios like the beach, shopping centre, etc where they can just disappear in an instant and cause a paranoia. I'd buy that.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    ToeKnee wrote:
    My son is forever misplacing his keys about the house, so I am in.
    Can't see that it'll help you find it within the confines of the house. We already have that feature on our phones and it's much easier to turn on the audio signal to do the final location. You need one of those fobs that respond to a whistle with an audio response.

I can see the benefits of this though - if someone walks off with your kit or you leave it in a bag on the train then you may get to find the general location of where it is. Hey - could work nicely in airports when your bag doesn't come off with everyone elses ...

But - it does rely on a lot of people using it - 100' is a short distance - it'll work better in high population areas where the chances of having someone with a tile app on their bluetooth enabled phone is much greater.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Slowbike wrote:
    ToeKnee wrote:
    My son is forever misplacing his keys about the house, so I am in.
    Can't see that it'll help you find it within the confines of the house. We already have that feature on our phones and it's much easier to turn on the audio signal to do the final location. You need one of those fobs that respond to a whistle with an audio response.
    Doh ... just read a bit more ...
    Take that, couch cushions

Tiles will play you a melody if triggered.
    If you can hear it, you can find it.
    might run the battery down quickly though (desperately trying to justify the first negative ;) )