Is it Worth Joining MTB Himalaya 2014?

randeepbrar
randeepbrar Posts: 6
edited June 2014 in MTB general
I am Looking forward to 10th edition of MTB Himalayahttp://www.mtbhimalaya.comthat is going to start this September. Any body else is interested to join this event ? They recently announced that former Tour De France rider will be starting at MTB Himalaya.

12000 m elevation gain
3400* m max elevation

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I'd love to but I doubt I'd get through the first day!

I like the way it describes it as the Worlds 3rd Toughest MTB race...what are the first 2?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Festerfeet
    Festerfeet Posts: 90
    This looks like an endurance race mostly ridden on tarmac roads and fire trails. Probably more suited to a former Tour de France rider than someone looking for technical riding.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I'm sure the scenery will be fantastic and it'll be a great experience. But from the photos and videos I don't why its called MTBHimalaya? and I don't know why people are using mountain bikes? It's mostly on tarmac roads and the odd bit of gravel. A cyclo cross bike seems like it's be more than enough and be much faster than a MTB.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    If I were doing another stage race... it would have to be this one, 9 days/900k across South Africa, fantastically well organised, great people & fantastic riding
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or one with a chunk of prize money.

https://themunga.com/the-story
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thank you all for your suggestions. This event will be flagged off on 27th September, we have got ample time to think upon it. I am also researching about this event, please give some real facts that can be useful to know about this http://www.mtbhimalaya.com event.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A faint whiff of a canned, pork based luncheon meat?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Thank you all for your suggestions. This event will be flagged off on 27th September, we have got ample time to think upon it. I am also researching about this event, please give some real facts that can be useful to know about this http://www.mtbhimalaya.com event.

I dont think anyone knows anything about this event to give some useful real facts. I do however think that you do know about it and are trying to promote it to people on a mtb forum. Personally I'd rather do the Trans Alps or Provence.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Looks like a mountain bike event organised by roadies for roadies.
    It doesn't appeal to me at all. If I'm going to ride 900km I want a good amount of it to be proper off road with the absolute minimum of tarmac and gravel roads.

• I dont think anyone knows anything about this event to give some useful real facts. I do however think that you do know about it and are trying to promote it to people on a mtb forum. Personally I'd rather do the Trans Alps or Provence.

I am a rider from India and I am just trying that a great sport like mountain biking should gain prominence all over. I am just promoting the sport not the event brother. Hope so you understand it! Rider's from all over the world should take this initiative.
  • Looks like a mountain bike event organised by roadies for roadies.
    It doesn't appeal to me at all. If I'm going to ride 900km I want a good amount of it to be proper off road with the absolute minimum of tarmac and gravel roads.

Terrian type defined on official web site is - Off-road ,Broken Tarmac, Gravel , Rocks, Mud, Sand, Lose Rock.
    Hope so it's true.
  • jairaj
    Looking at the videos and photos from previous events, its not what I call mountain biking. It seems mostly on road and gravel paths. Which is a bit of a shame as the event is held in one of the biggest mountain ranges on the planet.

As said, I'm sure the scenery will be amazing but I think you'll be better of on a road or CX bike.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Apparently there is some mind blowing big mountain freeride in the Himalayas. I wonder if they take in any of it on their route.
  • paul.skibum
    You would hope for gradual winching climbs on the gravel and roads with long undulating or downhill on the goat tracks and trails but I wonder if that is the case.

I am happy for people to promote the sport in their home country and around the world - I live in Whistler where you would imagine no one is unfamiliar with biking but I still manage to find new people to the sport most days. Promote away and I hope the event is a good one if you do it, just felt like you were doing some surreptitious advertising!
  • Sorry but my bike isn't a Yeti.
  • And that message was brought to you by the Himalayan Tourist Board...
    Visit beautiful Nepal...

Nothing technical there. And nothing that a cyclocross bike can't handle.
    Looks pretty though. But then so does the South Down/Yorkshire Moors/Northumberland...
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • jairaj

Yep sorry, but If I am entering a mountain bike event I expect more interesting terrain than what's been shown in that video. Especially from an event held in the Himalayian mountains.

I don't know if its just been filmed badly and missing out all the interesting terrain or there just simply isn't much on the arranged route. But the views look amazing! :D
  • paul.skibum

Well as a promotional film for the event that was disappointing - lead rider has drift logo on his sleeves so might have managed to get a bit of on board footage - as it was the whole thing is filmed from places where support vehicles can get so no idea whether we are seeing the best terrain on offer, some singletrack on show ridden apparently by two people who aren't particularly good riders - I thought when the Imagine Dragons track kicked in we were getting to the good stuff. But no.

Surely there is more potential out in those mountains than what we see there? The cost of the flights is the cost of entering the Trans Provence......