Fizik Antares - Advise

indyjones
indyjones Posts: 114
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi All,

I want to try the Fizik Antares, I have found an older model simply described as a "Fizik Antares Road Saddle - Kium Rails" from the following shop: http://www.totalcycling.com/en/Fizik-An ... 21236.aspx

Does anybody know what model year this is please? Is it lacking and of the new tech like "wingflex" as it is not an "R" model, seems to have R3 rails on an R1 base?

Just looking at this as it matches my colour scheme :roll: :lol:

Thank you!

Comments

• handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I can't help on which model it is but that is a lot of money to spend on a saddle that may not suit. There are plenty of LBS that have a range that you can test foc, I would do that first if I were you. FWIW I tried an Antares and hated it!
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    handful wrote:
    FWIW I tried an Antares and hated it!

I tested a Fizik Antares and LOVED it!

Every rider is different. Try using the fizik saddle finder on their website. Be honest with your answers and see what it suggests - then buy the bottom of the range version of whatever is suggested. If you get on with it, then think about carbon version etc.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • As previously said lots of shops has Fizik tester saddles. I've got the Aliante and its a great saddle, however if I was in the market for a new one i'd consider the Charge Scoop, and they have that in a colour scheme similar to that of the Antares in your original post.

0026474_charge_scoop_saddle_450.jpeg
  • Steve236
    Steve236 Posts: 212
    I don't think the Antares you've linked to has wingflex. Before the R1 and R3 came out the only Antares with wingflex was the top of the range 00 version.
  • simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    edited June 2014
    The Antares until recently did not have wingflex. I have tried and still have Aliante, Antares and Arione and to me I get on best with Antares, but it's a very personal thing. If you are testing do not go for the mega bucks versions - carbon or Kium, just buy the base mag version for £49 from reputable sellers on ebay :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fizik-Antares ... 5409aa4e61

Or the same for £63 from CRC. I think the weight difference between mag and kium is only 25g anyway.
  • indyjones
    indyjones Posts: 114
    Thanks all, I did manage to get the above saddle cheaper. It's still expensive but it's the one the Fizik site recommended and I think it should be the right shape for me, only one way to find out!

I think it does have wingflex as it has the right shell and seems newer than when they first introduced it... If it does not never mind as long as it fits! Only one way to find out!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Recently bought an Antares for my CX bike - £60 new on ebay. I could still walk after 100-miles offroad on the Dorset Gravel Dash so OK in my book. I have Ariones, Aliante, Gobi and now Antares - all work for me.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..