New Do Everything Bike

pn_mather
pn_mather Posts: 8
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Greetings!

Now I'm sure that there are 100 similar questions dotted around the internet but my needs are subtly different to those I have read so I thought I would see what experiences the cycling community in general have of my dilemma.

I have a wife. I have a family. I have a small garage. I need to streamline my current stable to that fabled one bike. I'm ditching the MTB and road bike for a do everything bike.

Currently I have a GT mountain bike that I ride very infrequently. I've hit Cannock Chase once in the last 3 years. I have a Giant Defy 3 that I ride around 70 miles a week on. The Defy is fine but I have never been totally happy with my position on it. I'm 6'3'' and very inflexible! I bought a Ritchey adjustable stem and have that pointed up so that I am more upright. The bike now looks terrible and I still get shoulder pain after 30 or so miles but it is much better.

So - what am I after? A bike that I can ride to work, ride at the weekends and ride with the kids. A bike I can swap over wheels and be as fast (or almost) as my Defy but that swapping over again I can zip around the local trails and tow paths with. A bike with a relaxed upright geometry that I can attempt that elusive 100 miles on later in the year. A bike that keeps the wife happy. I've been looking at the Genesis Croix De Fer which I absolutely love the look of but is it too racer position wise? The Decade Tripster is another but I like the idea of a steel frame.

I have around £1,200 to spend so would welcome any advice.

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Any bike as long as it fits.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • pn_mather
    Unfortunately I do not have time to test ride every bike so just trying to narrow the field a little.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Then just find the one you think looks the best.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • pn_mather
    Anyone else?
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Right, so I'll try and be a little bit more helpful than Grill here. :lol:

Basically it seems as though you are after a bike you can ride on the road AND on light off-road? You have no other requirements like pannier rack carrying/mudguards etc, but you want to be able to do centuries and off-trail riding on it?

So the solution would appear to be a cross bike. It'll give you the ability to swap tyres and ride with road tyres when on the road, or cross tyres and do some off-road stuff. Still be fast enough to be enjoyable on the road and still allow you off-road (although in a more limited fashion than a MTB).

Once you've made that choice, Grill is correct - your chief issue seems to be "fit". In which case you should look at buying your bike from somewhere that will fit you properly (or having a fit and using the measurements to get a bike to that specification). That way, they can leave the fork uncut, put a particular stem in, match the bars to your shoulders, sort out your saddle height properly etc etc.

There are LOADS of cross bikes out there that would do a job for you, carbon/steel/aluminium are all in your budget. You could be running 105/rival at that price level, with decent rubber and ok wheels. If you're buying a cross bike, you could go with canti brakes (which the pros are happy with), or disc brakes (which are increasingly popular).

BUT the most important thing is getting a bike that fits you properly (and then, probably one that you like the look of the most). Maybe someone can rec a decent bike shop near you that can do fits?

I don't think that your question is too different from (for example) the 2 other threads that have been posted alongside this one which are asking pretty much the same question, but perhaps what might be more helpful would be if you could post details (and pics) of your current set up and then amateur bike fitters might be able to give suggestions about what might be wrong for you?

Cheers
  • If you don't need any off-road capabilities (and the roads around Cannock Chase are fine - I'm not seeing the need to ride off them) then my answer to the same conundrum was an audax bike. I have a rack and panniers if I need to haul luggage, but stripped down for a fast ride the limiting factor so far as keeping up with the fast boys is the rider, not the bike.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • pn_mather
    Thank you - You have my needs pretty much spot on - and I understand the importance of fit. This was definitely an oversight when I bought the Defy but I think you need to go through one bike that does not fit to figure out what a bike that does fit needs to feel like!

I live in Solihull, in the West Midlands so would welcome any ideas on bike shops that will do a proper bike fit and offer sound advice rather than just shoe horn you onto the shiny one in the corner.

As for riding position - here is a picture of me on my Defy. And no - that is not a tennis ball stuck in the spokes! :D

• pn_mather
    So far I have been looking at the Genesis Croix De Fer, Kinesis Tripster and Salsa Vaya.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    KInesis Tripster or Pro 6 like nice. Revolution Cross bike maybe. Cannondale Cross bikes look great too.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Specialized Sectuer would give you the most upright position of any road bike (AFAIK) - if you had a set of slick tyres on wheels for road riding and could swap over to tougher tyres for off-road it could solve your problem. It would always be a compromise off road but I don't think anything else (other than an MTB or Hybrid) would give you as upright a position. Any Specialized Concept Store should be able to give you a loan bike for a few days or a week to try.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Does your leg even nearly extend enough when your foot is at the bottom of the rotation?
    It does not look like it will.
    If your saddle does need to go up I think it will put you in a better position with bars.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Something not right about that postiton seat height is one thing and possibly top tube length. Not sure but somethign is amiss.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    That bike frame size doesn't look right to even my inexperienced eye. Looks too small to me. Do you get overlap with the front wheel when you have foot forward while turning wheel? I tried a Ridley Crossbow cx bike where the frame was right size except for this issue. I rode it around the back yard of the shop slowly and kept hitting foot with the wheel. So IME you need to make sure of fit with a CX bike. I'd go for one myself in your situation. CdF probably as I've not your budget to get the proper Croix de Fer. Good bikes and I found it a nice fit for me. Reckon it's a comfortable ride, good for your fit issues.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    What size defy is it? At 6ft3, I'd expect you probably to be on the XL, (although I think Giant would rec the L) if you wanted a more "upright" position: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... /#geometry
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Its not exactly a looker but maybe something like the Giant Anyroad?
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    pn_mather wrote:
    Thank you - You have my needs pretty much spot on - and I understand the importance of fit. This was definitely an oversight when I bought the Defy but I think you need to go through one bike that does not fit to figure out what a bike that does fit needs to feel like!

I live in Solihull, in the West Midlands so would welcome any ideas on bike shops that will do a proper bike fit and offer sound advice rather than just shoe horn you onto the shiny one in the corner.

As for riding position - here is a picture of me on my Defy. And no - that is not a tennis ball stuck in the spokes! :D

That bike looks too small for you.

Also, what the flipping flipperdy is that bag doing on your top tube????!!! Sort yourself out man.
  • pn_mather
    My Defy is an XL. With the bars fitted with the stock stem it is VERY uncomfortable. They feel too low down and a real stretch across my back and shoulders. With the adjustable stem comfort is much improved but yes - I still look a little awkward on it. Not sure which way to go really. I was looking at the Salsa Vaya because of the high front end - not sure if that would be a better fit for my physique. I don't have anyone near me (Solihull, West Midlands) that stocks them though.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If the seat is the wrong height then bringing it up (to the correct height will push you over the bars more and so less stretch to reach them.

How straight is your leg when pedal is at the lowest point?
    I suspect you have tha saddle low because you do not want a saddle to bar drop, but thats not the way to go.

Would not say the bike is too small.
    Is the seat pushed right back? You do not seem to have a good position over the pedals.

Get the seat height right for your legs and seat position right re crank/pedals first, then look at bar position.
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    How about the Planet X or On-One cx bikes?
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • CXrider
    CXrider Posts: 141
    I am very happy to recommend the Boardman Team CX.
    It is indeed Chris Boardman's main runner as it goes everywhere, and fast.
    It is incredible on the canal paths and trails and very good on the road.
    I have had mine for 8 months and it is perfect.

I fitted full mudguards on mine and it serves as a trusted bike in the damp/rainy days where the extra grip and disc brakes are perhaps even life saving.
    I also happen to LOVE the extra set of brakes on the top bar.

Its £899 in Halfords but if you join BritishCycling then you get 10% off, and other discounts can be gained if they have a sale of some sort.
    Pedal to Paris blog at http://RideToParis.co.uk
  • pn_mather
    OK - I've risked life and limb taking another photo of me on the bike. On my own with a 10 second timer on the camera and a couple of precarious moments when leaning against the wall but I've managed it.

I think that the first photo that I posted was at a weird angle so maybe the bike looked somehow smaller than it really is. It looks much bigger now on this photo. And I've taken the flipping flipperdy tri-bag off the top tube. Sorry for any offence caused.

• letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    On neither of your pictures do you look like you have been fitted correctly - so I would recommend that you get a bike fit.

For example:
    http://www.cadencesport.co.uk/

The guy also sells bicycles and I am sure would fit you up on a new bike very well if you bought off him.

I would also recommend:

http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/

They would look after you as well.