Rebuilt wheel hub - now grinding

benws1
benws1 Posts: 415
edited June 2014 in Workshop
I'm attempting to do more of my own repairs to my bicycles so thought I'd start by working on my cheap hybrid wheel hubs (Quando branded).

I stripped both the front and back down and found that the back wheel hub is rusty and beyond repair. The front one though seemed ok, so I cleaned out everything (ball bearings, cup, cone etc.) and reassembled.

The wheel now has a slight grind when you spin it and makes a bit of noise. I've adjusted the tightness of the cone so that the hub spins freely and there is no wheel wobble. However, no matter what I do, the wheel seems to have a grind.

When I took it apart the old grease was brown and rusty looking. However, the wheel didn't have this grind. Could it be that by disturbing the old packing it has caused a problem? The hub cup itself and the bearings look ok.

Also, the grease I used was the Halfords Bike Hut Teflon stuff (pink in colour). I've since been reading that people recommend using automotive wheel bearing grease or high temp stuff as this is very good.

Does anyone have any ideas about why the wheel now grinds? Could it be a knackered hub or could it just be me not packing it properly (I did put a lot of grease in though)? Or is the Halfords grease not really the best for this application?

I should note here that when the wheel is back on the bike, it does spin quite freely. It just has this little grind that I'm not happy about leaving.

Thanks all. :)

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Cone is too tight
    left the forum March 2023
  • benws1
    Ok, thanks. If I loosen it off any more though the axle has play in the hub. Also, the wheel spins freely.

If I can't get to a point where there is no play and no grinding, does it mean something is beyond repair? Thanks.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Tightening cones to perfection is an art...
    If the balls are worn or the cone is pitted or the race is pitted, then there is no way you will have a smooth running and play free hub
    left the forum March 2023
  • benws1
    Ok. I'll take it apart again later and take a much closer look. The items looked ok, but maybe there could be some damage somewhere. Funny how it didn't grind before I took it apart though. I guess I need more time perfecting my art. :)

Thanks.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    There should be a tiny amount of play which disappears when the QR skewer is tightened up. If you have no play with the wheel out of the bike the QR will over-tighten it.
  • benws1
    Thanks. However, with the wheel out of the bike I get the grinding noise when I spin the axle by hand. It's like a sort of chafing noise that resonates through the wheel.

I was wondering if it was the grease, but it's probably the state of the equipment and my terrible mechanical skills. :)

Thanks for the info about having slight play before tightening the wheel to the bike. :)
  • cat69uk
    cat69uk Posts: 24
    I've exactly the same problem, 5 year old Shimano 105 wheel, been well abused road and cross. Replaced bearings, cleaned out, has play on the freehub body.

I'm guessing beyond economical repair? Looking at about £35 for a new Shimano hub, and then no idea how to fit to the spokes etc..

Not much cash at the moment, so would rather repair, or better to just buy a new wheel?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Can you not just buy a replacement freehub? It's held on to the hub by a tubular nut which is unscrewed using a 10mm allen key.
  • cat69uk
    cat69uk Posts: 24
    Could do, but £25 and not 100% sure it will solve the problem! + the whole new hub is only £35.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Quando hubs are rubbish IMO - once they're shot, bin them. They have rubbish sealing and need constant attention. If you're going to replace the hub buy something more durable like Shimano or Novatec
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    You said the hub was OK before YOU worked on it. Now you want to blame the hub, the grease, the bearings, etc. for the grinding. Sorry, but it was YOU who did something wrong.
  • lapavoni10
    lapavoni10 Posts: 146
    Pull the bearings and regrease, check that surfaces and balls have no discolouration (although, if the wheels run free I doubt its the bearings), also check any hub seals, as you may have shifted grease and dirt into them (these run close to the axle, obviously), and can cause the noise you mention.

Just a thought...these are loose ball bearings, not sealed bearings? If they are sealed bearings, they may be seized and are just running around in the hub...had a pair of Hope's way back that started doing that...terrible squeak and grind...ooer missus