Cycling insoles

englander
englander Posts: 232
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
I've got some new SPD shoes and the problem is that I'm getting hotspots/numb big toes etc. This is not an issue I had with my previous shoes, so I thought I'd try and fix it with some insoles.

There are millions of insoles to buy (Amazon etc) - any advice on wear to start? I'm looking very much at the lower end of the market to try out. I've done some research and most review seem to be specifically for running/walking. Will the benefits translate well to cycling necessarily?
Specialized Allez 2010
Strava

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Specialized BG footbeds.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Grill wrote:
    Specialized BG footbeds.

Pre-empting the OP's next question - "Where the hell are BG insoles in stock?!" :D
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    Are they too tight causing poor circulation?
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    Specialized BG footbeds.

Pre-empting the OP's next question - "Where the hell are BG insoles in stock?!" :D
    Sigma Sport. Just received some last week.

They still have the old ones on the site though with next to no availability. The new ones are in stock though.

Done. Next? :)
  • Hi. I recently changed from SIDAS footbeds to Fizik both share similarities including price. £50 fitted appears the norm. Definitely help with hotspots.
    Good luck
  • englander
    englander Posts: 232
    Thanks for the tips everyone. The Specialized BG footbeds seem to be exactly what I'm after. Regarding getting the right colour, what's the best way to go about it? SO far as I'm aware, I have normal arches. Can I waltz into a Specialized Concept shop and get it checked out there, or is that a bit cheeky?
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Englander wrote:
    Thanks for the tips everyone. The Specialized BG footbeds seem to be exactly what I'm after. Regarding getting the right colour, what's the best way to go about it? SO far as I'm aware, I have normal arches. Can I waltz into a Specialized Concept shop and get it checked out there, or is that a bit cheeky?

If you can get to a Spesh store why wouldn't you buy them from there???

OP unless you cannot bend the sole of your shoes, foot beds are going to solve your problem. I'm also looking for some but just for better arch support than my paper thin Sidi insoles give.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • neal1984
    neal1984 Posts: 240
    I've got the medium arch support (blue I think) in my old shoes as I didn't get measured and thought I was playing it safe. When I was at a bike show Spesh had a stand there and they measured my feet and said I definatly needed greens although my arch wasn't actually collapsing under weight. I bought the greens for my new shoes and packed out the blues with some old bar tape. This fixed my numb feet issues in both pairs of shoes and I still owe Grill a pint for the advice he game me at the time.

The only thing I've never used is the shims. When I got my bike fitted unfortunately the shoes I had at the time (hence the replacement) were too flexible to bother getting fitted and the bike whisperer is just too far away for me to make a special trip. Not really sure how to do this myself so I ride without.

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD