Another rider down - Vauxhall

BigLights
BigLights Posts: 464
edited June 2014 in Commuting chat

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Traffic was at a standstill going southbound over Vauxhall bridge around 8.10 this am, I was wondering what could have caused it. There was also a few sirens to be heard.

RIP.
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    Think it happened about 7.05 - The road was still closed at 8.35

I hate that junction with a passion and I've seen so many near misses over the years there

RIP
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    RIP. Something needs to be done- it must be obvious even to a politician that lorries as they are currently designed and operated are a danger to other road users.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Vauxhall is hell and lorries are a danger... however, until you get the details, it's hard to put the blame on the lorry.
    Some cyclists don't seem to get the point across that a lorry needs some significant space for manouvering... you can't get close to the damn things, unless they are stuck in traffic and you are 100% sure they can't go anywhere
    left the forum March 2023
  • menthel
    Vauxhall is hell and lorries are a danger... however, until you get the details, it's hard to put the blame on the lorry.
    Some cyclists don't seem to get the point across that a lorry needs some significant space for manouvering... you can't get close to the damn things, unless they are stuck in traffic and you are 100% sure they can't go anywhere

Not blaming the driver, just current regulation and lorry design. The overwhelming pattern is of cyclists being killed by lorries (tippers in particular) and that does indicate that something should be done. It may be the cyclists fault sometimes but better visibility and design may decrease deaths.

Personally I give lorries (and buses, coaches and women in chelsea tractors) a wide berth all the time.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Is there any need for that lazy sexism in this thread (or anywhere else?) :roll:
  • menthel
    BigMat wrote:
    Is there any need for that lazy sexism in this thread (or anywhere else?) :roll:

I could be ageist too if you want and include old people as another group I am careful around but this is from experience and not lazy stereotyping. Lets leave it there though as you are right, this probably isn't the thread to discuss such issues in.
    RIP commute...
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Crap. I came through Vauxhall around that time but before the accident and it was solid both ways.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    menthel wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

I could be ageist too if you want and include old people as another group I am careful around but this is from experience and not lazy stereotyping. Lets leave it there though as you are right, this probably isn't the thread to discuss such issues in.

Yep, ignore me. RIP, hope it gets properly investigated and dealt with appropriately.
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Very heavy morning. I came through Vauxhall about 9:30 - traffic was gridlocked from Clapham Common onwards, so bad that even us cyclists were held up. I ride through Vauxhall Cross twice a day; in the mornings a quick and straight sprint across from Wandsworth Road to the Albert Embankment, but in the evenings I would never ride around the one-way system - its just too scary. I use the bus-lane through the middle, or the cycle-path across the north side, past St George Wharf. A terrible way to start the week. RIP and God Bless to all......
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    Awful news. RIP to the cyclist and condolences to his family and friends.

that's a terrible bit of road. I used to go round the Vauxhall one system heading west from the City and always thought it was very dicey. too many lanes and too many cars/lorries/buses crossing over not knowing where they should be. Even driving a car round there can be stressful.

Again, terrible news.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    Damn, RIP.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    R.I.P

I have to say that recently, this year mostly, I feel less safe/assured on my bike than I have done any year previous (up to 2006, which predates the superhighways).

Maybe it's the volume of traffic, the type of vehicles, me aging or any combination of the above but generally speaking I don't feel as safe on the roads.

R.I.P
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    menthel wrote:

Not blaming the driver, just current regulation and lorry design. The overwhelming pattern is of cyclists being killed by lorries (tippers in particular) and that does indicate that something should be done. It may be the cyclists fault sometimes but better visibility and design may decrease deaths.

Personally I give lorries (and buses, coaches and women in chelsea tractors) a wide berth all the time.

I don't think design and visibility will solve the tipper truck problem. The fact is that most tipper and skip lorries are paid by the delivery, not by the day, and so if they are slow they loose money and if they can shave a bit if time here and there then they might make more.

It's no coincidence that cyclist biggest nemisisisisis are tippers, skip lorries and taxis; all the guys who get paid more to fit more jobs I to the day.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Asprilla wrote:
    menthel wrote:

I don't think design and visibility will solve the tipper truck problem. The fact is that most tipper and skip lorries are paid by the delivery, not by the day, and so if they are slow they loose money and if they can shave a bit if time here and there then they might make more.

It's no coincidence that cyclist biggest nemisisisisis are tippers, skip lorries and taxis; all the guys who get paid more to fit more jobs into the day.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Of course tipper lorries (and other construction specific) also have the issue that they mostly have no side protection, so where a similar collision with a normal lorry may leave you knocked off and heart in your mouth, with the tipper you go straight into the side and under the rear wheels.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Just getting ready for my ride home through Vauxhall Cross. It will be a sombre journey tonight, thinking about the poor man who died today.....
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • Squawk
    Squawk Posts: 132
    Used to live 10 mins walk from there, awful road. Motorists routinely have no clue what lane to be in, it was bad enough for me and I knew it well.

That said, the worst bit IMO is actually the other end, coming off Vauxhall bridge and then going under the bridge turning right. EVERYONE gets that wrong, and I expected the crash to be there.

Boris ought to ride his bike round the thing once during rush hour. Things would then change.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Sadly we have so many insanely dangerous junctions and pitch points in London, I think you're on the right track with making Boris and all of the TFL management ride to work for an unspecified period, that would give them a different view on the suitability of our road transport network.

Hell there could even be one or two politicians young enough to join the party
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Very sad news. I was going to head through that way this morning, but got diverted up to Kennington by a road closure at Stockwell. I'd agree that there is a lot of lane changing, due to confusion over which lane to take for which exit.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • oneiroi
    oneiroi Posts: 32
    Squawk wrote:
    Used to live 10 mins walk from there, awful road. Motorists routinely have no clue what lane to be in, it was bad enough for me and I knew it well.

That said, the worst bit IMO is actually the other end, coming off Vauxhall bridge and then going under the bridge turning right. EVERYONE gets that wrong, and I expected the crash to be there.

Boris ought to ride his bike round the thing once during rush hour. Things would then change.

People don't get that bit wrong, they're just fecking impatient. The junction design exacerbates that impatience.I wouldn't ride through there if I couldn't accelerate out of blind spots. The 'marked' cycle path doesn't help matters much either.
  • oneiroi
    oneiroi Posts: 32
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.48507 ... a=!3m1!1e3
    For those unfamiliar with Vauxhall, that's the junction. The part Squawk refers to is the northern part that goes under the train platforms. That's a fatality waiting to happen. The accident apparently happened under the bridge to the south. The covered bit to the west of the tracks is one of the busiest bus stations in London. The cycle lanes... :lol:
  • warreng
    On the way in I find the tricky bit is at the end of South Lambeth Road - when the lights change it's a little like wacky races and loads of motorbikes come haring passed under the bridge as we're all fighting for the same line. Once you've negotiated that and turned right the cycle path is next to useless as it's mainly blocked then spews you back into traffic at the lights.

Coming home over the bridge getting into the right lane to turn back into South Lambeth Road can be problematic as cars find themselves in the wrong lane and swerve left for the Brixton turn
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    WarrenG wrote:
    On the way in I find the tricky bit is at the end of South Lambeth Road - when the lights change it's a little like wacky races and loads of motorbikes come haring passed under the bridge as we're all fighting for the same line. Once you've negotiated that and turned right the cycle path is next to useless as it's mainly blocked then spews you back into traffic at the lights.

Coming home over the bridge getting into the right lane to turn back into South Lambeth Road can be problematic as cars find themselves in the wrong lane and swerve left for the Brixton turn

From South Lambeth Road it is possible to go left on either Wyvil Road or Miles St and then turn right onto Wandsworth Road. You then have a straight shot across the western edge of the gyratory. It's not perfect but it does cut out the left turn followed by right turn in 4 lanes of traffic.
  • bdave262000
    bdave262000 Posts: 270
    Very sad news. I happened to be driving back from site yesterday and was listening to a radio phone in programme where the host was taking calls about cycling safety and why is it a normal reaction for people to blame cyclists who are killed on the roads even when they have no idea what the cause of the incident was. It developed into the normal depressing rants, although the presenter did do a reasonable job in stopping it from descending into the comments section of the DM. One chap who said he was both a lorry driver and cyclists said it was because motorists see cyclists making good progress on their journey while they are stuck in traffic and its down to jealousy.
    Fat lads take longer to stop.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    One chap who said he was both a lorry driver and cyclists said it was because motorists see cyclists making good progress on their journey while they are stuck in traffic and its down to jealousy.

This I can believe...I get irrate as a cyclist when I'm stopped in a sensible position and then a bunch of stupid b***rs on their bikes are weaving in and out to get to the front when there's really no room for them.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • warreng
    Kurako wrote:
    WarrenG wrote:

From South Lambeth Road it is possible to go left on either Wyvil Road or Miles St and then turn right onto Wandsworth Road. You then have a straight shot across the western edge of the gyratory. It's not perfect but it does cut out the left turn followed by right turn in 4 lanes of traffic.

Miles St was the detour yesterday morning - I think I'll stick to that
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
  • Squawk
    Squawk Posts: 132
    You can go up Park Road too, pretty quiet up there and bring you out near the Sainsbury's that's being redeveloped.
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/cyclist-hit-by-bus-in-crash-in-tooting-9479126.html

cyclist hit by bus in Tooting... luckily this was not a fatal crash
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I was waiting at the junction of moorgate and London wall this morning and overheard two moped drivers complaining about cyclist riding down the middle of the road, aside from the fact that moorgate is much like a freshly ploughed field at best one of these guys then tries his damest to squeeze between the bus and on coming traffic whilst over the white line.

Everyone needs to take a MASSHOOF chill pill
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.