Anyone know anything about X0 front mechs?

grenw
grenw Posts: 804
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Am looking to move from 3x10 to 2x10 on my Canyon - the front rings are in need of replacement and they cost a fortune (£60+ for the middle one!). I can almost get the front 2 for that price on CRC sot it seems like a good time.

I've looked at the front mech and its a direct mount, low, bottom pull. Trouble is there are 3 'specs' for the mounting bolts. These are different widths apart and one is offset. Have had a look and am sure mine is a 'spec 2' but nobody sells them. Nothing new, nothing used, ebay etc. everything is either spec 1 or 3

Anyone got a clue? Do these spec 2s actually exist? Have I got it wrong? The bike is a Canyon Nerve XC9

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Why do you need a new mech?
  • grenw
    Was told that I'd need new rings, mech and shifter. That the screw limiter 'trick' wouldn't work
  • Chunkers1980
    If you're using granny and middle for the double setup then how is that any different to what you do currently?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Told by whom?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • grenw
    If you're using granny and middle for the double setup then how is that any different to what you do currently?

Was looking at something like this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sram ... -prod84907 rather than just changing the rings on my current setup.
  • Your mech will have the type marked on it.( stamped onto the rear ) Note crc have identified sram mechs incorrectly follow their description and you will get the wrong one . It happened to me.
  • grenw
    Your mech will have the type marked on it.( stamped onto the rear ) Note crc have identified sram mechs incorrectly follow their description and you will get the wrong one . It happened to me.

Can't see any mark without taking the mech off but have looked around again at the frame fit spec documents etc and it may be that I need a spec 3 after all. It looks like CRC may have got them wrong. Need to dig around further and probably remove the cranks etc .... Only had them off to clean the chain rings last weekend!
  • grenw
    So do I actually need to change my front mech if I go 2x10 using the chainrings I linked to (or something similar)?
  • Chunkers1980
    Don't know for sure, but I can't see why you would need anything new.

Seems a bit of a waste - If you don't need a bash then I've seen XT 10 spd doubles including BB for £110 if you shop around.
  • grenw
    Thanks. May just have to try it and see if it can work.

Yeah. Not bothered about the bash and to be honest there's a XX set without the bash for the same price. Not really looked at all the options. They would need to work with my current cranks - X0 / GXP (am certainly not losing those babies) so am not sure about the XT option.