Shoe insoles

munzy
munzy Posts: 111
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
I have a new pair of Sidi shoes and although they fit nicely I feel they are let down badly by the thin and cheap insole.

Can anyone recommend some good after market insoles that will give and bit more cushioning or mould to my sole shape please?

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Specialized do good ones. What you should look for is support as cushioning is counterproductive.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • munzy
    munzy Posts: 111
    Thanks Grill, I see what you say about cushioning vs support, good point I had not considerd.

I have just come from Specialized shoes and found their soles hard to get comfy due to the built in support - that's why I was wondering about mouldable ones so that they end up supporting my odd feet.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Have some Bontrager ones you heat mould, but have not tried them yet.
  • SkyFlyboy
    SkyFlyboy Posts: 24
    I've just started using superfeet yellow in my sidis after a spell in specialized blue insoles and although only ridden in them a few times they feel better for my feet as the support wasn't quite in the right place in my specialized ones.
    2013 Focus Izalco Team SL SR EPS
    2012 Pinarello FP Due SR
  • +1 for the bg insoles
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • bobbymeister
    bobbymeister Posts: 186
    Sidas custom moulded.
  • Grill
    Sidas custom moulded.

Only as good as the person moulding them and unfortunately there aren't many...
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Spesh footbeds work well for me in both Spesh and Sidi shoes.

Peter
  • Oxo
    Oxo Posts: 144
    Another vote for Superfeet "Yellow" insoles. They fit my new Sidis perfectly and I've found them very comfortable. Did 130 miles yesterday with absolutely zero foot pain, a very nice change from the norm.
    Sunday Best: 2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    Foul Weather: 2010 Kinesis Racelight T2
    Commuter: 1958 Holdsworth Zephyr Fixed Gear
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I just asked the same question in the Health section.

I have a Spesh store up the road or can get the Superfeet Yellows on line. Anyone tired both and have a preference?
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Grill
    The arch support is different in both shape, stiffness and location, so it's impossible to say. I love Superfeet products, but the Yellow isn't anything special. Were I needing a low volume footbed I'd get the Black instead.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    I have Sidas Conformable in Sidi road shoes, which are great
    I also have Superfeet Blue in my Sidi MTB shoes (used as Winter/commuter), which are also great.

I actually didn't get on with Superfeet Yellow in my road shoes (despite the fact Superfeet themselves say they used Sidi as the benchmark for the development) but due to the no questions Superfeet comfort guarantee changed over to blue.
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Not used the superfeet but I like my Spesh BGs.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • SkyFlyboy
    SkyFlyboy Posts: 24
    Unfortunately I think sometimes the only way to find out which suits you is to get them in your shoes and give them a go. All our feet are different and that's why we all have different favourites. Spesh is a good place to start and you can have your feet measured in store to see which colour is best for you. For me I've had the blue ones in for nearly a year but hasn't been quite right with the support not quite in the right place and decided to change and try superfeet yellow. So far these have felt better and all I did was find the original sidi insole and use that as a template to cut the shape for the toe box. Both options aren't cheap especially when you try both options but you want to make the most out of you nice expensive sidis!!
    2013 Focus Izalco Team SL SR EPS
    2012 Pinarello FP Due SR