How can I tell when CatEye better is going flat

markiegrim
markiegrim Posts: 136
edited June 2014 in Road beginners
Speed keeps wavering all over - showing I'm doing 20 mph (correct) one minute then 11 mph, back to 20 mph, etc

Is this sign of a flat battery? In the wireless thingy on fork? in the Unit? Both?

Otherwise digits look clear and not fading

Been in use 6 months only.1-2x per week

Ta for thoughts

Comments

• markiegrim
    markiegrim Posts: 136
    obviously that should say battery
  • Drybs
    Drybs Posts: 1
    Check the sensor and the magnet are lined up correctly otherwise it may only register every other turn, hence the speed halving every now and then. Hope this helps.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Could be the factory fit batteries on the way out, however I've found they usually last longer than that. Batteries are cheap so it is worth changing them to eliminate them as the cause of the problem.

Don't forget to recorded the ODO mileage before you remove the head unit battery.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Easy enough to change the battery in the sensor? But it sounds more like the sensor isn't picking up the magnet properly, happens to me quite often when I go over bumps and it knocks the sensor out of alignment slightly. The magnet should only be about 1-2mm away from the end of the sensor - it has a little indented bit to show where the sensor actually is. Also the small magnets you sometimes get don't work so well with cateye sensors, better to get a proper cateye magnet which looks massive but they work better.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Another vote for the sensor needing repositioning. Your screen will start to fade as the battery weakens so not likely the battery. Make sure the sensor is secured well so as not to get knocked out of position when riding over bumps and even wind can move a loose sensor.