damage after crash.

jaybo1973
jaybo1973 Posts: 301
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all.

I had a crash with another cyclist last weekend which would of been nasty had we not of been wearing helmets. Anyway, I was unaware that any damage had been done to my bike. Got it out today to clean it and my crank is really stiff to turn. Back peddling is really stiff to. I fear that the bb is knackered? Could this be possible? Could a crash knacker the bb?

Cheers

Comments

• Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Possibly mangled rear mech? take the chain off and spin the cranks, if still stiff then BB is most likely cause but its unusual to damage BB in a crash. If it only does it with chain on there is an issue elsewhere. Pictures?
  • jaybo1973
    Yeah. I had already tested it without chain and it still does it. There is no visible damage
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Cranks bent? What kind of BB? If external type, are the BB cups still sitting flush with the frame? If all looks as it should I can only suggest whipping the cranks off and having a look/replace BB.
  • jaybo1973
    Everything appears to be OK. It's a hollowtech 2. I don't have the tools to remove it; it's a job for the lbs but will get a bb from chain reaction as they are much cheaper.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Doubt a crash would but damp might. Don't get that though, spend a little more and get XT or XTR. They last much longer - sealing in much better.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jaybo1973
    Just seems a massive coincidence. I was knocked off sideways so pedal may of hit floor at some force. Will get bike shop to check it over. Wanted to pick a cheap one up for now so I have one to take with me but knowing that it could be something else that is wrong.