6 week old bike

deimosjohnny
deimosjohnny Posts: 135
edited June 2014 in Workshop
My bike is about 6 weeks old from new.
Started to notice a wee bit of chain rub on the front mech so had a go at adjusting after watching the video on here.

It is a sora group set on the bike.

firstly no high or low indicator on the screws so as i look down from the the top is the inside (closest to frame) the low stop and the outer the high stop?

Secondly only the inner seems to move the mech?

I can get it back to ok but rubs at either end of the gearing, which i did not think it did when i got it.

Secondly after 6 weeks and 12, 10 mile rides, what should i be checking and tightening.

Help as always much appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    Hi, the limit screws should only really need to be set once if you get it right and then are not affected by the cables streching.

So - to adjust front derailleur from scratch

1) undo both limit screws so they are not affecting the derailleur at all on the bottom or top ring (it is a double on the front isn't it)

2) work out whether the cable is too tight or too loose (more likely too loose if the bike is new)

3) use the downtube adjusters if there are some to tighten the cable or loosen it depending on the above. If the required adjustment is too much for the adjuster, tighten it up again and then pull some cable through at the derailleur. Adjust until the chain will go up and down smoothly with the chain in a middle sprocket at the back.

4) fine adjust this by then checking that the chain does not rub the front derailleur when a) in the largest sprocket and smallest chainring and b) when in the smallest sprocket and largest chainring.

5) work out which is which by trying and seeing which affects the derailleur in each position as the high will only affect it when in the largest chainring and the low when it is in the smallest chainring - but there are indicators on my sora i think

6) set the LOW limit screw by putting the chain into the smallest chainring (and largest sprocket) and then using the limit screw to set the derailleur so that it is almost (but not quite) rubbing the chain. then check that this doesn't affect the shifting. if it does slacken it off slightly.

7) set the HIGH limit screw by putting the chain into the largest chainring (and smallest sprocket) and then adjusting the screw until the chain is almost (but not quite) rubbing the chain. Check that this doesn't affect the shifting and then adjust if it does

8) this should now be working :)

bob6397
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    and other than doing similar on the rear derailleur and checking the brake cables haven't also stretched there is nothing else to check!!
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • deimosjohnny
    deimosjohnny Posts: 135
    Thanks, running nice and smooth now.