1x10 chainring derailing

chetanpatel
chetanpatel Posts: 8
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
About 2 weeks ago I converted from 3x10 to 1x10 (32 teeth) on my XC bike. I changed the chain length and thought I took all the appropriate action for this to work. I took it out last week in Swinley and it worked amazingly with no de-railing problems.
I did some small tinkering on the rear derailer (only mainly cleaning) and I took it out this morning. The chain came off at least 12 times! made the ride unbearable and I had to cut the route in half and go back to the car.
It seems to happen on very rock sections.
I don't really want to fork out for new rear derailer with a clutch. Do I really need to do this?

Any advice? Picture attached for illustration setup
edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_IDpTszBuIBRVh3OGIxRTlONTQ/edit?usp=sharing

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So standard ring on the front and no clutch rear mech.

Yes you will loose your chain often.

Options. Top guide of some sort. And a bottom roller.

A thick and thin front ring and then maybe a clutch mech.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Get a superstar narrow wide chainring £25.99 it's all your need to do on a an XC bike.
  • @nicklouse do I need both chain guide and clutch mech?
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    The clutch mech - 'type 2 rear mech' is not too different but it does have a very strong spring to assist chain retention. The cheapest option is a proper chain guide, see how it goes then get a type 2 mech if you nee it. I think the nw front ring on its own will not be enough.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You don't need both, no, on my 1x all I use is an inner and outer guide ring, never lost a chain.

Fish fish, do you even know what you are blathering on about? String spring my arse.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    String spring? Whiskey for breakfast again?

My son uses a NW ring, normal mech, nothing else, rides gnarly stuff without issues.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    It's the drugs not the whiskey!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    FS or Hardtail? If its an FS you are better of with a top guide like a superstar or e13 XCX, but a narrow wide will cull _most_ of the drops.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • right, I just went onto Superstar and brought a chain guide to start with. I'll see how it goes and then if I need a new derailer then i'll have to fork out for one.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    The Rookie wrote:
    You don't need both, no, on my 1x all I use is an inner and outer guide ring, never lost a chain.

Fish fish, do you even know what you are blathering on about? String spring my ars*.

Actually I do know what I'm talking about - and type 2 mechs clutch mechs) have by design a stronger spring. The SRAM model even has a holdfast on it to allow you to keep the mech forward for removing the wheel - because the spring is strong to tension the chain to assist retention - in your set up what is your rear mech?
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • The Rookie
    It's the damper in it, not a so called strong spring that does the job.......suggest you read up on how it works.....