Handlebars- to carbon or not to carbon?

Ferrals
Ferrals Posts: 785
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
I need to replace my knackered handlebars, I was planning on the renthal fat bar lite alu version, but I picked up the carbon version in the shop and it was so much lighter and I like the idea of carbon damping out any trail buzz through the forks.

I am nervous about carbon durability though, do they withstand knocks and crashes as well as alu? Do you have to replace carbon after a crash? I'm a bit wary of non visible damage to carbon - and it just failing landing a jump/drop off with nasty consequences! Any thoughts on carbon v alu? Obviously the cost is another factor, but I'm more interested in thinking about performance apart from the cost as it will be credit carded anyway :lol:

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Carbon is tougher than aluminium, it withstands impact better and is no more likely to fail suddenly. It's lighter and stronger, what is not to like.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I'd always go carbon if I can afford it. As The Rookie says, stronger and lighter, what's not to like? I'd personally only stick to more well known brands though (Raceface, Easton, Renthal, Crank Brothers, Kinesis, Answer etc etc) with my favourites being Raceface Sixc's. I crash a fair bit a have never had any problems with them and I know others who have literally taken chunks out of their carbon bars and never had a problem.

Honestly can't tell a difference between the damping qualities of carbon or aluminium though.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I've got Carbon Havocs on the FS, they are great - light, nice width (for me), nice shape but expensive.

I think I might try the new On-one Carbon bars on the HT. Stated weight is a bit heavier than the Havocs, but they are cheaper too.

As above I can't tell about the damping qualities; I just like carbon.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Easton give you a two year crash replacement warranty and I think a few other makes do the same. I've got an Easton haven, bro in law has a renthal fat bar lite. both well are well made.

depends on the width you are after what bar will suit.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Carbon all the way, I did notice the damping with my Easton EC70 bars, I do feel a small amount of flex which is great for long rides. I have crashed my bikes and had no issues. If you can afford it go for it.
  • Ferrals
    Cheers all. Sounds like carbons the way to go. Busy selling a bunch of surfing/ fishing stuff to fund bike bits :D

The renthal fat bar feels really right so will go with that. I can't find anything about a warrenty online though, any ideas?
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I have the renthal carbon bars, really good at getting rid of that hand cramp nonsense I suffered on longer down hills. Looks super trick too
  • Ferrals
    Cheers, and do you feel confident hitting big stuff with it. I've got a lingering carbonphobia still :lol: in the back of my head it's going to shatter as I land a drop :roll: :lol:
  • The Rookie
    Well as aluminium can also suffer sudden and catastrophic failures I suggest you go back to steel bars then otherwise you'll never be happy.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ferrals
    Valid. I was also thinking all my fishing rods are carbon and they seem quite happy being dropped on rocks, bent in weird angles, waggled in trees etc etc. For some reason there seems to be mis-givings about carbon parts on some forums I've read, but it looks like Renthal have put the effort in as you would expect.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    The only misgiving I'd have is the conflicting advice over cutting them to length - which ranges from, No Worries to No Way. I've yet to find an answer I consider definitive.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Depends on the bars. See what the makers say before.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Got Easton EC70 bars and they do have a bit of trail buzz reduction. Probably depends on how they are made full on enduro or DH bars will have less flex than XC bars.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Rookie
    My Syntace Duraflyte UD are definitely less fatiguing than previous alloy bars I've used.
  • Ferrals
    Decision made, I'm going to 'bling up' the front of my bike uk style: renthal carbon bars, hope AM stem and hope lock on grips :D
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    do any of you guys use carbon bars on a hard tail ?
  • The Rookie
    Yes.....why would it be different?
  • Ferrals
    Thats my plan - like rookie says, makes no difference :?: