Hi all, considering a Giant

2»

Comments

• didn't get it last Wednesday, it missed the van for shipping as they are mad busy atm.
    just phoned as it supposed to be there today and they have sent it to Gateshead by mistake but it is getting couriered today :D
    Funny enough I just got back from a 5 day stay up there :D
    In the mean time I have bought some shimano m520 spd pedals/cleats from chain reaction on offer for about £16, made up with them as they also have the plastic flat converters, also a bottle and cage , two way telescopic pump. small saddle bag with tools (I hate stuff in the back pockets), and a pair of them cheap Lidl £10 bib tights that were in on Monday.

edit, they just rang to say it wont be till tomorrow :( I better order some mudguards at this rate :D
  • In the mean time I have bought some shimano m520 spd pedals/cleats from chain reaction on offer for about £16, made up with them as they also have the plastic flat converters, also a bottle and cage , two way telescopic pump. small saddle bag with tools (I hate stuff in the back pockets), and a pair of them cheap Lidl £10 bib tights that were in on Monday.

edit, they just rang to say it wont be till tomorrow :( I better order some mudguards at this rate :D

Good idea- I guess after 15 years of biking you've already got a good idea of what you need to take with you when you ride, and it's good to have the extras and storage ready to go from ride 1 :)

I'd be wary of buying mudguards until you get the bike though- it might not have the clearance and drillings for a traditional mudguard mounted under the brakes and fork eyelets, and even the 'clip on' full lengths such as crud catchers *might* be a problem depending on how they've designed the rear end.
    SKS raceblades can be made to fit virtually any bike, but they don't protect the bike as much as full lengths, so it might be worth holding on until you know what you can do with it.

Have fun with it- you'll probably find it completely transforms your riding on the road compared with your old bikes!
  • Thanks iron clover, I was joking about the mudguards ;) im not intending on fitting any and will use my mtb when I ride in bad weather.
    I have been on and off riding over the years due to a cack bike so hopefully as you say the ride experience of this will keep me going :D

Its only for pleasure and to keep fit but who knows, I may join a local club :)
  • still no bike. no call on wed. thur morning they rang to say the courier was in the area but he didn't deliver it :(
    told it should be monday now but I wont be able to pick up till tue due to work .

picked up one of them aldi pro winter jackets today that they still have from November.
    well I will need it by the time i get this bike :D
  • result.

viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12882623&start=40

finally got a defy 1 from my lbs :D

thanks for all the advice. really appreciate it and was very helpful. ;)
  • Just fitted the flat pedal adaptors to give it a try round the estate .
    and rode round again, and again :D very nice.
    a lot of annoying chain rub on the front derailleur when in the high gears front and rear.
    so a bit of adjustment needed and need to set my shoe cleats.

pick up a spare tube tomorrow as I forgot and then out for a ride.

like a being a kid at Christmas again :D
  • first time on clipless. went back out for another ride with the shoes on.
    , feels great :D

mrs isn't happy that I have put the bike in the spare room downstairs :D
  • Worrying that so many people have been advised the larger of the 2 possible sizes is right, consult the Giant sizing chart!

I'm 5 feet 10 and the Medium size is spot on, although everyone is different it seems bike shops seem to obsess over getting people onto larger frames than is required or recommended by the manufacturer's information.

The standard advice is, if 2 frame sizes could be right and you're not sure, go for the smaller. Far, far, far easier to make a bike that is slightly too small fit than it is to make a bike that is slightly too large fit.
  • Just fitted the flat pedal adaptors to give it a try round the estate .
    and rode round again, and again :D very nice.
    a lot of annoying chain rub on the front derailleur when in the high gears front and rear.
    so a bit of adjustment needed and need to set my shoe cleats.

pick up a spare tube tomorrow as I forgot and then out for a ride.

like a being a kid at Christmas again :D

If you mean you're in the big chainring at the front and the big sprockets at the back, then don't do this, it's called cross-chaining and should be avoided!
  • no small at front and rear . but I take it either is not good then ?
    thanks for that, you learn something new every day ;)
  • Laptop died a few weeks ago and couldn't retrieve my password for here as I couldn't log into email on my phone. Found it hard to log in here too.
    long story short google chrome app is my saviour :)

Anyway I have been reading the forum regularly and interesting I started this thread thinking of buying a carrera zelos and ended up with a giant defy 1 :D

Anyway I have been enjoying it. Not been out as much as I would like due to other commitments but I have bought some m530 pedals to replace the 520"s they are going on my mtb along with mudguards I have bought and new lights etc so to use my mtb as a winter bike.

As said thanks for all advice and loving the giant. :)