Tektro Gemini brakes problem

tindian
tindian Posts: 6
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
after bleeding my front hydraulic disk brake after a few minutes of testing they become spongy with very little grip, I have tried bleeding the system several times making sure that I was doing it correctly by watching youtube etc, but the problem is still there. I am new to all this so any help will be much appreciated, thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Where they spongey before you started? If not it is clearly your bleed process that is wrong, but without watching you it's hard to say which aspect.

Ket pointers
    1/ always level up lever I the bars to bet the bleed point highest
    2/ always bleed from calliper to lever on these, that way the fluid flow is in the direction the air bubbles want to rise and not fighting it
    3/ make sure the syringe is big enough to do it on one go, removing and refitting is a sure fire way to introduce and air plug.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • tindian
    I am definately bleeding correctly because the tension is stiff immediately after the bleed but then within a few minutes of testing they go spongy again
  • tindian
    would a leaking caliper do this, if so is it possible to fix the caliper or will I have to buy a new one?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    tindian wrote:
    I am definitely bleeding correctly because the tension is stiff immediately after the bleed but then within a few minutes of testing they go spongy again

If air is going in, something is coming out, so if you have fluid leaking out yes. Have a look of the makers website or Epic site for bleeding. Random Youtube videos can be very right or very wrong.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • tindian
    thanks for your replies, looks like its a new caliper then
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is it leaking then?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • tindian
    yes unfortunately it is leaking