Mavic R-SYS: Broken Spoke

Sanjay
Sanjay Posts: 108
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Morning all,

Looking for a bit of advice. Yesterday, (with a loud twang) one of the spokes on the drive side of the rear wheel snapped. The wheel was completely out of true so my ride ended there.

I went to a couple of local bike shops and neither had any replacement spokes or seemed especially confident about truing the wheel. I've found replacement spokes online, but I'm not sure which ones to get. One is 294mm, the other is 297.5mm. The wheels are Mavic R-SYS SL from 2012. Any ideas?

I'm a bit nervous about handing over such an expensive wheel to get trued too, but I guess that can't be helped.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,181
    you can find details in the mavic technical manuals, you'll need to look at 2012 and 2008 manuals i think, you can find them here...

http://www.tech-mavic.com/tech-mavic/te ... s/2_12.pdf
    http://www.tech-mavic.com/tech-mavic/te ... s/2_16.pdf

fyi spoke length depends on ds/nds also is different for clinchers/tubs, you'll find exact info in the manuals

if the website wants you to login, uid: mavic-com pwd: dealer
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    You need the 294 and the swap is pretty straightforward if you have the Mavic tool for your splines and the aero holder. It would be desirable to get the tension right.
    If you live in London, drop me a line, I have done a few of these. for the spoke try "behind the bike shed" they stock many Mavic spokes
    left the forum March 2023
  • Sanjay
    I'm in Kent, so London isn't too far away. Where abouts are you?

Are you sure its the 294mm, I need? The 2012 manual one the link from sungod said that it was 294.5mm spokes, or is the difference negligible?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Sanjay wrote:
    I'm in Kent, so London isn't too far away. Where abouts are you?

Are you sure its the 294mm, I need? The 2012 manual one the link from sungod said that it was 294.5mm spokes, or is the difference negligible?

Richmond.
    The 297 is for the SR and the 294 for the R-SYS and SLR... it's 294.5 according to Mavic and probably rounded down by the retailer... half a mm doesn't make any difference.
    Anyway, apparently they've got both

http://www.behindthebikeshed.co.uk/adva ... ic%20spoke
  • Sanjay
    I've just checked, and Its a two hour trip to Richmond, which is a bit of a trek. I'll check out one more shop locally and see what they think after I have the replacement spoke. If there is no joy there, I'll let you know! Thanks very much for the offer though.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Not tempted by doing it yourself? Mavic are easy to true and chances are all you need to do is screw the spoke until the wheel is true
  • Sanjay
    Never trued a wheel before! Guess this might be a good time to have a first go though. All I need is a wheel truing stand right?
  • ugo.santalucia
    You can true it using the brake pads as guides
  • Sanjay
    I'll have a go myself first then, thanks again for all the advice.