£130 shoes

dormer88
dormer88 Posts: 110
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Had a quick look around the forum for 2014 shoes recommendations but didn't really find anything up to date.

Any recommendations for a decent pair of shoes, looked at some of the Sidi's but undecided.

Thanks

Comments

• skooter
    skooter Posts: 264
    Sidi Pro 5's for that price.. good shoe?
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... himzshr851

Bought some the other week, only done 20 miles on them but seem good. Also Ribble have a 10% off code on shoes, shoe10.
    I'm a normal shoe size 9 and the 44 fit perfectly.
    Cheers, Stu
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you can afford Sidis, buy them - other makes will have been consigned to the bin many years previously IME. I have 16 year-old Sidi shoes that still look new. You can still buy spares many years later - as many 'brands' don't make their own shoes, getting spares even a year later can be tricky.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    I have some Sidi shoes, they were 'half price' at CRC about £120 I think, can't fault them and a lot more comfortable than my old Shimano. Stink to high heaven after getting soaked last week but that's hardly Sidi's fault. You can usually get some good bargains on last year's kit.
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    Only buy Sidi if they fit you. Too narrow for me - even in 'mega' fit. Am happy with my Shimano R170.

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    2nd hand Sworks (2013, not 2012 model).
  • c40nl12
    c40nl12 Posts: 40
    Bont Riot at £100, fit me very well and support the foot all over. They do look a bit home made but I've had them for nine months and they are great.
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    derosa wrote:
    Only buy Sidi if they fit you. Too narrow for me - even in 'mega' fit. Am happy with my Shimano R170.
    Amazingly I found Specialized Comp Road shoes very uncomfortable and pinched me around the arch. Interestingly, Specialized Defroster (SPD) shoes fit fine.

Sidis on the other hand fit like a glove. They're just so comfortable (though get rid of the stock insoles!)

OP: YMMV so I'd advise trying lots of shoes on if you can.
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    c40nl12 wrote:
    Bont Riot at £100, fit me very well and support the foot all over. They do look a bit home made but I've had them for nine months and they are great.

Interested in the Bont shoes but have no local stockists - are they wide fitting?

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    The Bont Riot only come in one width but are meant to be a wider fit than the normal fit on the Vaypour , A-2 etc, but those more expensive ones can be had in a wide fit.

The sizing chart on the Bont site is pretty good.

I've just got some Bont A-3 in normal fit and have wide feet - I'm borderline normal or wide fit on their chart, they feel pretty good already and I've not heat molded them yet.

Because they're heat moldable a second hand pair is a good idea, as you can just mold them to your feet.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • theotherjake
    theotherjake Posts: 237
    Shimano R170
  • dormer88
    dormer88 Posts: 110
    Thanks all