Ibis Ripley v ibis Mojo HDR650b v Lapierre AM 727

Robertsonj1
Robertsonj1 Posts: 2
edited June 2014 in MTB general
Had a Lapierre Zesty 714 and totally loved it (sadly got stolen off car at Ikea in Edinburgh when returning from Glentress a couple of weeks ago) . I'm a bit bigger (225lbs) than the average but am pretty fit and do a lot of cross country (black routes/2/3 day wild camping tours etc) as well as Downhill tracks (eg Innerleithen, World Cup tracks in Les Gets, Morzine and Les Deux Alpes). Put 200mm discs on it/crank Joplin IV drop seat post and felt it was an amazing all rounder. Now need a new a bike and narrowed my search down to one of the above. My heart is with the Lapierre but the Ripley sounds best although the lack of travel concerns me due to my build/weight . Any advice would be much appreciated.... Tks

Comments

• Spiders
    Spiders Posts: 7
    The HDR is a great looking bike. But be careful. When you look at the pics of the black one on the web, it looks very different than they do in the flesh. Mine was really patchy and looked like a bad finish. Ibis say they are supposed to come out like that. Have a look at few first so you know what your getting. You may like the finish, but it's not for me. Once you have got it, your stuck with it. I tried to change it and 2pure and Ibis said No
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Spiders wrote:
    The HDR is a great looking bike. But be careful. When you look at the pics of the black one on the web, it looks very different than they do in the flesh. Mine was really patchy and looked like a bad finish. Ibis say they are supposed to come out like that. Have a look at few first so you know what your getting. You may like the finish, but it's not for me. Once you have got it, your stuck with it. I tried to change it and 2pure and Ibis said No

So you got a UD frame and aren't happy that every single fibre doesn't look spot on? It's not supposed to and to complain as such is pretty childish. They're still damn good frames, perhaps a little dated in terms of geometry and frame features these days but the DW-link back end is still one of the best out there. If you want to run the HDR in 650b mode id steer clear, tyre clearance is poor and it's not really a new bike, just an "improved" version of the original HD. The ripley is not built for Am riding at all and as such I'd definitely avoid it. I'd be looking the Pivot Mach 6 or Santa Cruz Bronson or Nomad.
  • Spiders
    Spiders Posts: 7
    It's not that I expected every fibre to be spot on. When they agreed I'd get a HDR as a warranty replacement, I looked at web pics and one in my LBS to see what they were like. Mine came back very different. I wouldn't mind just seeing some of the layup, if it was black, mine is pretty patchy to be fair, and looks grey in places. With that aside, I have had an SL and a couple of HD,s, great bikes to ride, but I agree the mach 6 is a pretty good alternative
    I've not seen the new nomad in the flesh. Is the new 2014 with the slack head angle ok for AM trail riding