Silicone spray

ej2320
ej2320 Posts: 1,543
edited June 2014 in MTB general
I have been using fork juice on my forks and I says it's good to use on the frame as a polish/mud dis placer

How would you recommend applying it? Obviously I'll cover the brakes/rotors with plastic bags
Is it better to spray on and wipe or apply to a cloth then rub on?
and are there any areas I should avoid? obviously the brakes and tyres

thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I wouldn't spray any aerosols randomly on a bike.

Although your post is a bit confusing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ej2320
    In essence, am I better off spraying some on a cloth then rubbing it on like a polish?

And what areas should I avoid?

I just like the idea of a lot less mud sticking the bike as my local rides are generally muddy
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    ej2320 wrote:
    In essence, am I better off spraying some on a cloth then rubbing it on like a polish?

And what areas should I avoid?

I just like the idea of a lot less mud sticking the bike as my local rides are generally muddy

Its doesn't matter how you apply it. The end result is still the same.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Never spray near the bike if you want the brakes to stay working, so yes, onto a cloth and then wipe on is the best bet.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    The Rookie wrote:
    Never spray near the bike if you want the brakes to stay working, so yes, onto a cloth and then wipe on is the best bet.
    But still don't use the spray near the bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    I use Bike Lust for shiny dirt proof frame and seals on stanchions

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/pedros_bike ... tAodwQ0Aaw

For fork stanchions simply hold a bit of kitchen roll around the seal area and spray the lust so it dribbles around seal, kitchen roll catching any excess from running down onto the rotors. Cycle the forks a few times to bring up any dirt, then wipe clean :D
  • cooldad
    Aerosols, by name and nature, spray tiny droplets all over the place. It's not the stuff running down that causes issues.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I've used Muck-Off Bike Spray before which is basically a silicone spray, it makes things look nice and shiny again, which is nice, the biggest driver for me is that it repels water/mud reasonably well and makes it easier to keep it clean.

Personally GT85 works better for me. I always spray into a cloth and wipe on, maybe a quick dab into some of the hard to reach places. It might not give 'take the years off' quite as well, but it's a better water misplacer.

Yes you might get a bit on the discs, in that respect GT85 is better as it'll 'burn off' after a short while in my experience, whereas you might as well bin the pads and get the brake cleaner on the discs with Silicone, I've never managed to fix it any other way.
  • cooldad
    Almost the worst advice ever ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ej2320
    Well I covered the brakes with plastic bags when I sprayed the stanchions so nothing went on the brakes

I took the advice and sprayed it into a cloth then used it like a polish, done the job I wanted it to
  • P-Jay
    cooldad wrote:

Who me? I'm not sure I gave any? It was more of a 'shared experience' thing.
  • cooldad
    P-Jay wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Seriously?
    P-Jay wrote:
    Yes you might get a bit on the discs, in that respect GT85 is better as it'll 'burn off' after a short while in my experience

I suppose it stops them squeaking as well?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • P-Jay
    cooldad wrote:
    P-Jay wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Seriously?
    P-Jay wrote:
    Yes you might get a bit on the discs, in that respect GT85 is better as it'll 'burn off' after a short while in my experience

I suppose it stops them squeaking as well?

Okay I'll bite - personally I think the worst advice ever is "you only ever regret the things you don't do" which is always plastered over the FB page of people too boring to come up with their own ideas - whoever said that has obviously never seen the inside of a trauma ward, but I feel that's not really the point you're after.

GT85 is a perfectly good product to use on your bike, and most people can manage it without detrimentally affecting the performance of their brakes, causing mayhem with their gears or burning off the paintwork or whatever else internet experts will tell you everyday items can do to these, oh so fragile, things we use to smash about on mountains. I do concede it does take a bit of care and thought pre and post application - taking into account that half of people are of below average intelligence perhaps it's not for everyone, so if you're still writing with crayon or just can't get enough of the taste of Sunshine Bus windows - it's probably best left to others.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    P-Jay wrote:
    taking into account that half of people are of below average intelligence .

Which camp do you fall into?
  • ej2320
    Before this thread goes... Off topic

I rubbed silicone spray on my bike, went on a muddy ride, everything washed off.. So I think it worked
    I used the fork juice on my fork and shocks too and they are now very smooth in their travel
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I'll rub mine down with some WD40 on a rag now and then...that frame that is
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • TheGava
    TheGava Posts: 220
    Nothing like the smell of GT85 ;/) I clean the bike with MucOff, microfiber cloth to dry it then a coat of GT 85 all over.... Trying to avoid the brakes but I don't cover them over with bags etc.... Have done this for years and have never had a problem!! Just been upto Dalby Forest today (very muddy) quick squirt on spray with the hose pipe, wipe down and she's clean, then another coat of GT85 for next time :/) Point been GT85 is great at helping keep the mud from sticking to the bike and cheaper than other Products