Internet Giving

Frank Wilson
Frank Wilson Posts: 930
edited June 2014 in The cake stop
Back in the old days if Joe said he was going to run 25 miles for charity we gave him a pound a mile when he finished. If he couldn't be bothered doing it on the day he didn't get his dosh

Now though once you have hit the button on the internet giving type sites the dosh has gone from your bank, so what happens if Joe gets sponsered lets say a grand and then doesn't do the activity, I presume the money has just gone to the charity "not forgetting the administartion charges etc"

So the moral of the story seems to be we could get rid of Joe altogether and just give these people a load of dosh.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    yep, tbh i dislike sponsoring people, maybe it helps drive donations that wouldn't otherwise happen, but i do prefer to give direct

for inspiration, often i'm moved by nicholas kristof in the inyt, his column has moved me deeply many times, often about things never reported by the bbc etc., he and his wife set up half the sky, they also list many organisations well worth supporting...

http://www.halftheskymovement.org/pages ... anizations
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    I'm not keen on it when the sponsorship pays for the event, sometimes meaning that little is actually raised for the charity. If you want to go skydiving just go skydiving, don't pretend that it's not something you wouldn't do unless someone else pays.
  • "not forgetting the administartion charges etc"

£25,000 on chandeliers is not admin.....
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    sungod wrote:
    yep, tbh i dislike sponsoring people, maybe it helps drive donations that wouldn't otherwise happen, but i do prefer to give direct

for inspiration, often i'm moved by nicholas kristof in the inyt, his column has moved me deeply many times, often about things never reported by the bbc etc., he and his wife set up half the sky, they also list many organisations well worth supporting...

http://www.halftheskymovement.org/pages ... anizations

I hated people with this opinion for years, I felt they were simply people not willing to help and taking any excuse to "opt out"

That was, until I realised that in fact the whole thing about giving is fraught with issues, things like administration, charges, costs and anything that can "take a cut"

I had no idea that during the 80's when the Feed the World charities were at their peak, some african governments were taking unto 90% is tax from the money being donated.
    I don't know the exact figures but apparently this was commonplace to tax donations and it does take the edge off.
    Likewise, these days you give and you almost always have no idea where its going and how much of your £1 gets to the place you intended.

I have no issue in giving money for charities but I do ask more questions and I do tend to opt for the ones which are set up for an idea or project that is self contained, I.E run and dished out by that group or organisation.

As per the original question, I also think that giving for the likes of a charity run should be like a hotel or hire company taking a lean on your account so the money is gone, but only on hold and when the person does as has been promised, the lean is finalised and the money is with the people intended.
    Living MY dream.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    One of the reasons I've decided not to do ride London ...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    I take it now isn't a good time to ask you all to sponsor me for the Cardiff Half Marathon then? :wink:
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Pross wrote:
    I take it now isn't a good time to ask you all to sponsor me for the Cardiff Half Marathon then? :wink:

I don't sponsor people if they are only doing half of something. :wink:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    Pross wrote:

I don't sponsor people if they are only doing half of something. :wink:

Will you sponsor me for my double 10k please? I'll even do a few extra metres as a bonus :wink:
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Mikey23 wrote:
    One of the reasons I've decided not to do ride London ...

Kind of same here...I asked people to sponsor me last year but I won't do it again. I applied for a RLS100 place but didnt get one, but could if I took up a sponsored place which I simply will not do.

This year I may take part in the Air Ambulance Double 100 - they have two entry options of £30 or £45 depending if you get sponsorship or not. I think this is a great idea and could be replicated in other events like RLS100 e.g. £45 for sponsored riders, or £100 for non-sponsored riders.

http://www.kssairambulance.org.uk/involved/double100
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    @southdownswolf... He's doing a whole half

Was going to ride for my organisation until they decided to make pretty much all the local people redundant. Now I have no desire to ride and raise money in the name of that company and most of the people I would ask for money ain't going to be there anymore and I think it would be offensive to ask for money anyway
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Gethinceri wrote:
    I'm not keen on it when the sponsorship pays for the event, sometimes meaning that little is actually raised for the charity. If you want to go skydiving just go skydiving, don't pretend that it's not something you wouldn't do unless someone else pays.
    This^.

Have never understood the rationale of getting people to pay for you to do some adventurous activity.
    I can't claim to do do lots for charity but I do get involved in bits and bobs. I got roped into doing an ultra marathon last year for charity as part of a group of 8. We all paid our entry fees and all our own costs. The guy who arranged it managed to negotiate a reduced entry fee but all money raised went to the charities concerned. I don't think it should be any other way.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,916
    morstar wrote:
    Have never understood the rationale of getting people to pay for you to do some adventurous activity.
    Oh, I can understand the rationale from both the charity's point of view, and the individual's: the charity gets income it wouldn't have done otherwise, and the individual gets the activity funded by the donors. It's just that I wouldn't have the nerve to look my friends and colleagues in the face and use the 'charity' card to get them to pay for my adventure.
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    I ask for donations to the charity in lieu of Christmas and birthday presents.

Can't help thinking the big oversubscribed sportives with charity links, like the Etape Caledonia and Dragon, should simply raise the entrance fee and make a donation to the nominated charity that way.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    morstar wrote:
    Oh, I can understand the rationale from both the charity's point of view, and the individual's: the charity gets income it wouldn't have done otherwise, and the individual gets the activity funded by the donors. It's just that I wouldn't have the nerve to look my friends and colleagues in the face and use the 'charity' card to get them to pay for my adventure.
    I understand it economically I suppose I should clarify. Like you, I don't get how somebody has the nerve.
    If your mate just said he was collecting for charity but was keeping half the money for his efforts, you'd tell him where to go. I struggle to see a difference.
    I presume event organisers don't actually charge charities the full face value for such events though but maybe I'm wrong.
  • CXrider
    CXrider Posts: 141
    I hear ya.

However, please sponsor us for our Ride to Paris! :oops: :lol::mrgreen: :P

http://www.ridetoparis.co.uk

Yes, we are paying for the trip expenses ourselves.
    Pedal to Paris blog at http://RideToParis.co.uk
  • briantrumpet
    CXrider wrote:
    Yes, we are paying for the trip expenses ourselves.
    That's the way to do it - I did Paris to Rome last year the same way - in fact, we'd organised the ride, then thought it would be good to use it to raise funds for a local cancer charity. When a couple of older friends donated £500 each in memory of relatives they had lost, it was wonderful to to know that every penny went to the charity, not for the ride, which we would have done anyway. But it was even better knowing that the charity would benefit directly from our pleasure.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    PM me and i'll give you my bank ac and sort code, you can give me anything you want. I don't mind and I won't beg or subject you to moral/emotional blackmail. I won't even pretend that I am doing something more worthwhile/difficult than the next person.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    PM me and i'll give you my bank ac and sort code, you can give me anything you want. I don't mind and I won't beg or subject you to moral/emotional blackmail. I won't even pretend that I am doing something more worthwhile/difficult than the next person.
    Just so we know you're legit, could you give us your internet banking log-on and PIN/password too, please?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    Just so we know you're legit, could you give us your internet banking log-on and PIN/password too, please?

I'll only pass on that information to you if you are an honest exiled and impoverished prince from Nigeria.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I've just dropped out of RideLondon due to ill health. Fortunately I can defer my place till next year, but I think the sponsorship money I've raised through just giving will be a bit of a headache to refund due to gift aid etc, that's if people want their money back. As it stands I could cover all the donations myself through the money I save by not doing the ride, but the nature of online giving makes it more difficult. I got in through the ballot, so my charity (SOS!SEN) isn't out of pocket.
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    Two years ago I did LEJOG and raised £2k for Macmillan Cancer Support. I used Justgiving to handle the donation but I didn't realise that they take a cut. Last year I was diagnosed with cancer myself so 2013 was a bit of a nightmare. I am riding from Dover to Cape Wrath later this month and am raising money for a robotically assisted surgical system for Aberdeen. There are 36 such systems in the UK and not one of them is in Scotland. Don't blame Westminster, this is purely a Alex Salmond decision. The link below is direct to UCAN, the organisation leading the campaign so they get ALL of the money. Come on guys, every little helps :D

http://www.ucanfundraise.org.uk/ucan-supporters/your-sponsor-pages/userprofile/nkt2000
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Two years ago I did LEJOG and raised £2k for Macmillan Cancer Support. I used Justgiving to handle the donation but I didn't realise that they take a cut. Last year I was diagnosed with cancer myself so 2013 was a bit of a nightmare. I am riding from Dover to Cape Wrath later this month and am raising money for a robotically assisted surgical system for Aberdeen. There are 36 such systems in the UK and not one of them is in Scotland. Don't blame Westminster, this is purely a Alex Salmond decision. The link below is direct to UCAN, the organisation leading the campaign so they get ALL of the money. Come on guys, every little helps :D

http://www.ucanfundraise.org.uk/ucan-supporters/your-sponsor-pages/userprofile/nkt2000

Awesome choice and wish you the best. How much you hoping to raise ?
    Living MY dream.
  • I sponsored a Macmillan bike ride last year using Virgin Money Giving. Since then they have been spamming me on the email address I used and have repeatedly ignored requests that they stop mailing me.

I will not be sponsoring Macmillan or anyone else through Virgin Money Giving again.