Tools for self build

jf22901
jf22901 Posts: 155
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all.

Since I've decided to build my next bike myself, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for tools or things I cannot do without. I've already got an adjustable wrench, various hex keys, a torque wrench (up to 24 Nm) and a hacksaw. The frame already has the BB and headset installed.

From reading online I need to add cable cutters, pliers, a cassette lockring tool, a Hollowtech II crank installer and a chain whip. Am I missing anything? I don't want to make a start and then find I've forgotten something which is essential. It's just the range of tools is huge, and it's hard deciding what's necessary and what isn't.

Thanks all!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd look at the jobsworth kits from on-one, the circa £20 will contain most the bike specific tools you need.

For cables you just need a good quality side cutter.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jf22901
    jf22901 Posts: 155
    Thanks for the advice. 8)

I'd seen tool kits on sale, but wasn't sure whether they would be any good or if they'd just be full of cheap stuff that breaks. (It's not like I'm in a bike shop repairing things every day though, so don't need the best quality available.) I'll give the jobsworth kit a go.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The quality is fine.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools