New middle ring required?

paulneenan76
paulneenan76 Posts: 777
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I've had a persistent problem with my chainset for the last few rides and no amount of derailleur adjustment gets rid of it. The chain feels like it's constantly trying to come off the cassette - like it needs a bit of adjustment on the barrel - and a bit of chainsuck for good measure when it's wet n muddy. The chain links seem fine (used chain checker and inside tolerances), the cassette looks ok, and when in granny and big ring, it doesn't do it - so by deduction, the middle ring is worn?

It's the ring I most use, so should wear faster, and I've had it around a year. It's the DeoreLX (bargain from Merlin) so I'm hoping it'll be easy to whip off and replace with a £15 XT middle ring from Halford?

Is this the most likely cause of my chain problem?

Is an XT middle ring best value for money?

Cheers as always

Paul
Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It does sound like your middle ring is passed it's best, the XT ring is a good solid option, and as you can get it conveniently I'd go with that.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paulneenan76
    paulneenan76 Posts: 777
    Thanks Rookie. Hopefully it's a simple enough job. :)
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374