Building a road bike

tomsimmonds
tomsimmonds Posts: 66
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,
I am building a road bike for my girlfriend. I'm trying to stick to a £250 budget but obviously I want it to be decent. I want a frame for £100 or less and then £150 for the rest. I already have wheels.

Where's best to buy a frame from for that price eBay?
If so what should I be looking for

Cheers

Tom

Comments

• iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    It might be difficult to build a decent bike on that budget- you would definitely have to go second hand on everything.
    TBH I'd try and find a second hand complete bike that is within your budget range, such as an entry level machine, such as Trek 1 series or low level Spesh Allez/ Giant Defy.
    You might get lucky and find a semi classic machine within your budget though.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    At that budget you will have to be patient. Use ebay, sure, but also check the classifieds is as many places as you can. In general I'd say you're more likely to pick up a bargain by being prompt on the classifieds than eBay.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    As long as you're in no rush its certainly do-able.

I'm currently (slowly) building up an S Works tarmac frame and i'm holding out for bargains.

This weeks bargain was some S Works carbon handlebars. £6 + postage. I wasn't sure if the seller would honour it but he bit the bullet and did.

So yeah, if you're in no rush the bargains are there. 8)
  • borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    If you/she are impatient, maybe one of these, http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-red ... ctFeatures

Swap out the wheels for yours and stick new ones on ebay. The equipment is entry level but you'd be unlikely to get everything other than frame & wheels for £150 even 2nd hand. My sister has one and thinks its fine (not that she knows any different).
  • jack_flap
    jack_flap Posts: 40
    Possible new frame option under £50 - not sure how good they are http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRSABALR40 ... road-frame.
  • Have a look in the bins around the back of your local bike shop
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles