New chain now skips on rear cassette

jdk2014
jdk2014 Posts: 24
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Noob question here. I installed a new chain but may have made a mistake as it skips in the rear cassette gears 2 onwards. Bike is Voodoo Hoodoo. Chain is Clarks CSL-H9CR. Have I installed the chain wrong through the rear derailleur cage?

20140531_135108_zps32d025cf.jpg
20140531_135059_zps60c1d439.jpg

Comments

• Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    Cassette worn?
  • jdk2014
    It's a second hand bike but IIRC I was told the cassette is new. This is it:
    IMG_2841_zpsb46fe87a.jpg
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    Bent hanger?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If it's skipping it's most likely a worn cassette, or is it ghost shifting, or could it be skipping at the chainwheel?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • wilberforce
    wilberforce Posts: 295
    Have you shortened the new chain to match the length of the one removed as from the pictures, the derailleur seems vertical and you are on one of the ledger cogs.
  • jdk2014
    Ok, as a total noob, I better get all the info I can for you guys to guide me. The old chain was pretty worn.
    20140531_155358_zps22355ac8.jpg

There are the same amount of links on each chain, but the old one had stretched. I haven't adjusted anything else. I kinda thought it would be a simple procedure just to throw on a new chain. If I lift the bike up the chain runs fine but as soon as I ride the bike up a gradient the problem ocurrs.
  • jdk2014
    Ok, I enrolled the help of the wife so I could work out whats happening. It's the rear that's 'skipping'. The gears don't change, so no ghost shifting. The chain is catching on the next sprocket and then slipping off back onto the original sprocket. For example, if in 3rd gear the chain catches the 2nd gear sprocket only briefly, but enough to experience a 'slip'.
    I hope my terminology is correct.
    Will this need a rear derailleur adjustment?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes. And b screw by the looks of it. Read Parktools.
    And measure the chain properly - around big/big excluding the mech plus a link.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    jdk2014 wrote:
    Ok, I enrolled the help of the wife so I could work out whats happening. It's the rear that's 'skipping'. The gears don't change, so no ghost shifting. The chain is catching on the next sprocket and then slipping off back onto the original sprocket. For example, if in 3rd gear the chain catches the 2nd gear sprocket only briefly, but enough to experience a 'slip'.
    I hope my terminology is correct.
    Will this need a rear derailleur adjustment?
    Yes, and that IS ghost shifting, as in shifting and back without you knowing......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jdk2014
    cooldad wrote:
    Yes. And b screw by the looks of it. Read Parktools.
    And measure the chain properly - around big/big excluding the mech plus a link.

Hmmm, unfortunately I used small/small with the rear derailleur almost horizontal but so that the chain cleared underneath the upper pulley and without touching the upper pulley. I saw that way on a you-tube vid.

The pictures were taken at different times so there is no guarantee the derailleur pics correspond with the cassette pic.

New chain had same number of links as old chain.

Ok, I now understand what ghost shifting is.

That Parktool stuff is good. I've actually ordered a maintenance book a few days ago but await it's delivery. Note to self, best to watch a few videos on you-tube rather than trusting just one.

Thanks so far guys. I'll get this fixed yet.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I saw a talking goat on Youtube. It didn't know anything about bikes neither. There's a lot of random sh1t on there.

Assuming the old chain was measured properly is dangerous.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Clean up the jockey wheels too. Check for a stiff link - like where you put the pin in. When you do the Big Big + 2links. test it is with the chain out of the rear mech. Get a 9 speed connector rather than a pin - you can get them in Halfords. Also clean the cables. And get your hair cut.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    ...if you look at the comments section in CRC for this product there is an entry complaining about the same problem. Not that it is helpful to you.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • jdk2014
    Sorted with SRAM PG970 cassette and SRAM PC971 chain, a chain whip and cassette removal tool. I ordered the parts online from the local Halfords and seem to have saved a bunch of money than just walking in and picking them off the shelf. Not that I'm complaining.
    Anyway, I'm satisfied everythings fine now. Thanks for the advice.