Armstrong's Day in Court

deejay
deejay Posts: 3,138
edited June 2014 in Pro race
I not digging up the very old Thread but this could finally nail the Liar.

Court denies Armstrong request to stop SCA case

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/court-d ... p-sca-case

The Texas Supreme Court has denied Lance Armstrong's request to block a case against him by insurance company SCA. He will now be required to testify under oath on June 12, in a case in which he may have to pay back an estimated 12 million dollars.
Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972

Comments

• tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    Like all the other riders who lied. Let it go. Watch the Giro.
  • deejay
    I think you miss the point.
    This Goon lied in court and under oath and now we might see his comeuppance that leads to a jail sentence.

Today's Stage 4, Tour of Belgium was won by André Greipel. :!:
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    That's why he'll settle at the 11th hour, he won't want to be questioned under oath again.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746

If anyone who'd been ripped off by LA to that extent and decided to "let it go" would make me presume they were
    a) fabulously wealthy
    b) extraordinarily stupid
    c) amazingly saintlike with their forgiveness
  • tuneskyline
    dsoutar wrote:

If anyone who'd been ripped off by LA to that extent and decided to "let it go" would make me presume they were
    a) fabulously wealthy

or perhaps just realise that it is part of the culture of professional sport and and don't give a sh%t because it's 2014.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    dsoutar wrote:

a) fabulously wealthy

or perhaps just realise that it is part of the culture of professional sport and and don't give a sh%t because it's 2014.

Or Just let him get away with it and Keep ALL his "Dirty $$$$$" and riders like Simeoni and Bassons who never made a penny and now are working in a everyday job just to make ends meet. Yes some of us like to wear specs rather than the blue tinted one's that you wear !!!
  • tuneskyline
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    dsoutar wrote:

a) fabulously wealthy

Or Just let him get away with it and Keep ALL his "Dirty $$$$$" and riders like Simeoni and Bassons who never made a penny and now are working in a everyday job just to make ends meet. Yes some of us like to wear specs rather than the blue tinted one's that you wear !!!

Your right if Armstrong had not doped then Simeoni and Bassons would have beat all the other doped riders racing at the time. It was all Armstrongs fault and nothing to do with the fact that riders were doping before he started racing :roll:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Or Just let him get away with it and Keep ALL his "Dirty $$$$$" and riders like Simeoni and Bassons who never made a penny and now are working in a everyday job just to make ends meet.
    Simeoni doped as well, you know. And he kept riding as pro until he was 38. He wasn't a victim.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Lying under oath and defrauding an insurance company of millions is a serious offence in my book. Irrespective of who the perpetrator is, not taking action would set a dangerous precedent. On the flip side, a bad precedent was allowed during the financial meltdown with little consequence to bankers.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    your mask is slipping ray...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    ddraver wrote:
    your mask is slipping ray...

How your able to say that, I don't know...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Nah Fair Play he did a pretty good job this time...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    Lying under oath and defrauding an insurance company of millions is a serious offence in my book. Irrespective of who the perpetrator is, not taking action would set a dangerous precedent. On the flip side, a bad precedent was allowed during the financial meltdown with little consequence to bankers.

Now they're extorting bonus payment on the grounds that they'll be compelled by market forces to bankrupt competing economies if we don't cough up.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ah, nothing like some spurious banker bashing ;)

They're almost as bad as Armstrong...
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    Lying under oath is bad enough but doing over an insurance company !!!

Those guys are just plain mean and they don't like this sort of thing, they're going to hound him forever.
  • Macaloon

:roll:
  • rick_chasey
    Macaloon wrote:

:roll:

I literally spend all day talking to bankers. Unsurprisingly this colours my view.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    ...Bassons who never made a penny and now are working in a everyday job just to make ends meet...

I though Bassons had a job for the government or local government doing stuff related to drugs testing? Is that a regular everyday job? I'd say it utilises his knowledge and it probably doesn't mean he's on the breadline. French public sector jobs give decent worker benefits. Put it this way, he's got a good, guaranteed pension now and some form of job security, sick pay, holiday entitlement, etc. etc.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • tuneskyline
    Top_Bhoy wrote:

The only books I have are the Hong Kong Phooey book of Kung Foo and Sarah Beenys, How to live off the wild life in your own house part 1.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    I though Bassons had a job for the government or local government doing stuff related to drugs testing? Is that a regular everyday job? I'd say it utilises his knowledge and it probably doesn't mean he's on the breadline. French public sector jobs give decent worker benefits. Put it this way, he's got a good, guaranteed pension now and some form of job security, sick pay, holiday entitlement, etc. etc.

I suspect his public sector job is better than most, it seems like the French State has looked after a whistleblower and not just thrown him to the wolves, good for them.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Bassons always made the point that he was lucky because he came from a relatively wealthy family and had the ability to walk away. He was quite sympathetic to riders who didn't have this choice and needed the money to survive. That makes him an even better man in my eyes.
  • Macaloon
    The remote emoting that goes on on his behalf is ridiculous. The lack of insight on behalf of such an enlightened guy is beyond parody.
  • rick_chasey
    Bloody hell. What is this? Bassons blow idol?
  • Macaloon

Rather blow a Bassoon than a banker :D
  • rick_chasey
    Macaloon wrote:

Rather blow a Bassoon than a banker :D

Wouldn't earn you as much though, would it? raised-eyebrow.gif
  • deejay
    Not much difference between Assurance Companies and Banks.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    as others have said wonder if this will actually go to court or get settled before the day arrives.

Is there any chance of any criminal proceedings against Lance for perjury ?
  • deejay
    Next Thursday 12th JUNE 2014 is the day of reckoning.
  • deejay
    I think you miss the point.
    This Goon lied in court and under oath and now we might see his comeuppance that leads to a jail sentence.
    His day in court still rumbles nearer.

US federal judge denies attempt to dismiss $100 million fraud lawsuit
    US district judge Robert Wilkins said the American government is free to proceed with the case that alleges Armstrong defrauded the government by accepting sponsorship money from the US Postal Service while using performance-enhancing drugs throughout his career.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/armstro ... oing-ahead