Bike Cages

South Tyne Rider
South Tyne Rider Posts: 76
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Just wondering what everyone thinks of bike cages that some councils have? I need to store my bike somewhere safe as I'm locking it up all day every day but I know there's a mixed opinion of them. Are they safe or not?

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I used to work at a council office and they had individual bike cages there which I used.

In short, they were fine for the daytime when reception nearby was manned and people were often in the area so deterring any opportunists, but there was no way in hell I would have left the bike there overnight as I'm sure a battery powered dremel could have been through the padlock in under a minute.

It didn't help that there was no obvious anchor point to d-lock the bike to- I could have used the cage itself but again that section of cage would be easy for someone to snip through, making it a bit of a wasted effort.

For what its worth, I'd prefer them to the average lamppost as theres no opportunity for some passing idiot to indulge in casual vandalism.
  • I use one at work, it's good providing people remember to shut the cage door. Its got good racks/bars inside to lock bikes too. I didn't use it until my bike got stolen from outside a satellite office I work in, wish i'd used it to start with! It does surprise me though how many people don't lock their bikes up inside it. I imagine its good for insurance purposes though if you do use it and anything happens, plus if its anything like ours there's cctv everywhere. Put simply i'd much rather use it than than lock my bike to railings or a lamp post.