Road cycling on tv

2»

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Most motor sport is dull but the Isle of Man TT is something a bit special.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Most motor sport is dull but the Isle of Man TT is something a bit special.

You get a real feel for the speed as they get flashing past peoples houses... proper mental!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You can see how fast they are when the helicopter can't keep up!
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    edited June 2014
    I only really watch the grand tours and really try to get into them. If i have a passing interest, that is lost pretty quickly.

Now, for example, this weekend just been I watched over 16hrs worth of the Le Mans 24hr motor race on TV/Radio with a few chums. To most people, that will make their eyes pop out with "Whhhaaaaaat?", but it's totally my bag. I love endurance racing and all the twists and turns therein. A half-hr recap of the race highlighting the overtakes/crashes leaves me totally cold however. It's LIVE or nothing.

Now, I've given up watching the TT. I'm not really into motorbikes, so I don't get alot more stimulation than "Ooh wow, he's going really fast there!". I've not ridden sports motorbikes so don't really have any idea what's going on. At least with cars, I race a fair bit so I can kid myself that I have an understanding of what's going on behind the wheel.

But then again, I ride MTB alot but cannot watch it on TV. Dull as dishwater.

Argh, who knows. I thought i had a point.

Horses for courses, i guess.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Cycle racing isn't really something you can just dip in and out of really. Which is why the Tour de France is the only one I'll watch all the highlights programmes for. Even on days when nothing happens at all you get to see some lovely French scenery!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I like watching the highlights of the big tour Cycle racing and going to see the Tour De France is an experience everyone should do especially a tough mountain stage. Watching someone on the point of puking their guts up but refusing to give in is a strangely thrilling experience.

Watching the TT on telly is dull you just dont get any feel for the race. Been over to the I.O.M and Ulster dozens of times to watch the bikes and its awesome its the atmosphere the noise and everything all together.

Downhill and XC MTBiking is dull as watching paint dry live or on TV you can see next to bugger all live and the place is usually crawling with midges.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Prefer watching Dh and XC races to any road ride.

Just back from Fort Bill race weekend and it was superb fun!