New bike build- throw your suggestions (and bashings:)

JPKotimaa
JPKotimaa Posts: 8
edited May 2014 in Road beginners
Ladies and Gentlemen, time for some good old bashing fun!

Here´s a bike build going to commence in the coming weeks after long time in planning. After a long time of mulling on "the bike to have(within a certain budget)" I went over the budget, changed my mind several times, but ended up with something I think may be my dream bike for some time. This particular bike should be good for light touring, credit card trekking, fast day trips, and perhaps even randonneuring/audax. The best thing for a near-novice in mechanical side is that the builder will let me (and my significant other) to build the bikes under his guidance. We have two bikes coming up, one big one and one very petite one with our preferential colouring and general pimping.

Do your worst/best, When the build is complete and documented I will make a complete update or at least a link to a blog describing the whole thing.

The set:

Frame: BOB JACKSON WORLD TOUR 23.5’’
Heatset: CANE CREEK 10 1-1/8
Stem: RITCHEY CLASSIC
Handlebar: RITCHIE CLASSIC
Handlebar tape: FIZIK 3MM
Seatpost: RITCHEY CLASSIC 27.2
Sadle: BROOKS SWIFT BLACK CHROMO
Front wheel: DEORE-ZAC19 SILVER/BLACK
Rear wheel: DEORE-ZAC19 SILVER/BLACK
Front derailleur: SHIMANO 105 DUBBLE
Rear derailleur: SHIMANO 105 TRIPLE
STI shifters: SHIMANO STI 105 DUBBLE
Crankset: SHIMANO 105 52X39 172.5
Cassette: SHIMANO 105 11-26
Chain: SHIMANO 105 10SP
Canti lever brakes: SHIMANO FRONT / SHIMANO REAR
Tires 2X: SCHWALBE ROAD CRUISER 32MM
Pashley fenders: POLISHED ALU PASHLEY FENDERS

Yes, yes, some of the parts have been chosen for the price to fit the overall budget. The builder was up for giving us a show on building the wheels from scratch but our budget did not quite give in. I also thought about front wheel hub-dynamo (rando suggested add-on). I hope it's a good start though:)

So suggestions you give will be more of educational in nature. I have found out that bitter failure is the best teacher:)

Best

-JP

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Not convinced about the logic of a tourer with a bottom gear of 39x26.
  • martino53
    martino53 Posts: 29
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Not convinced about the logic of a tourer with a bottom gear of 39x26.

As you point out in your post you're a novice, perhaps the chosen gearing is OVERKILL.?
    Good luck and enjoy.
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    Yes, that's neither one thing nor the other. You've a touring frame with road bike gearing. I'd be going for a triple with lowest 24/32 or similar on bar end shifters and 105 ders won't have the necessary range. You can't have too low gearing when touring. I wouldn't use cantis especially with brifters, they're bad enough with the right levers. Longer drop calipers or mini vees/full size vees even better with drop bar vee brake levers (Dia Comp 287v or Tektro 520). Unless your arse says otherwise, go for B17's rather than Swifts and put the saving back into the build elsewhere. Oh, and WTF is a fender? I'd go for SKS chromoplastic mudguards rather than ally as the latter makes a helluva din when riding.

Sorry.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Another vote for lower gearing.

Even for light touring, unless you are very, very strong, a 39-26 combo isn't right. If you are strong, a compact with 34-30 setup might do it with only light loads. Otherwise a triple.

For a bike with 32mm tyre clearances - yes, I would probably not go cantis these days. The new generation of v-brakes from shimano that will work with road levers will be much easier to keep well setup.

But really, the main issue is the gearing. Way too high for your intended purpose.
  • danmitch
    danmitch Posts: 47
    Hi JP

I also have a Bob Jackson World Tour - lovely bike. Aside from the above regarding gearing, which I agree with (I run 48/34 with 12-30), I think I can add something on brakes. I am one of the few who have had good experience with canti brakes on both the WT and my Surly Cross Check BUT only with careful setup and good choice of (expensive) brakes - in my opinion you will need to invest in something like Paul cantis or Avid Shorty Ulitmates. My experience is that either of these with good pads will beat most V-brake setups - the World Tour frame is designed for cantilever brakes.

Invest as much as you can in the wheels, aside from the frame they are the most important bit, I would even consider dropping down the range of groupset to get some great hand built wheels. I use Mavic A719 on Royce hubs built by Harry Rowland, but hand built A719 on Deore would be a great choice too and significantly cheaper. Don’t skimp on spoke count either, you are not building a lightweight bike.

Hope this helps!

Dan
  • JPKotimaa
    JPKotimaa Posts: 8
    Hi!

I will have a talk with the builder on the gear setup and ask about the brakes as well. As danmitch said the WT is designed for cantilevers and I will probably need to change them in due time when the budget allows.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, much appreciated. I will see how it comes out.

Happy summer trails!

JP