Old School TT machine

iron-clover
iron-clover Posts: 737
edited July 2016 in Your road bikes
Updated pictures below!

Hi Guys,
I thought I'd show you my TT machine recently purchased from a club-mate. I absolutely love the paint scheme, which is still immaculate after all these years and looks far better in the flesh than any pictures can show! It's a lovely alloy Omega hand-built in the UK in the late '90s/ early '00s.

I've since put on pursuit bars from the similar era to replace the drops it originally had, which has resulted in the rather quirky lever setup that was last seen in the early 00s.

(Apologies for cranks not in-line with seat-tube!)
untitled_by_iron_clover-d7kcabh.jpg

Frame: Omega Alloy TT
Forks: ITM Millennium Carbon
Bars: Mavic Lo Pro
Stem: Pro XLT-Race
Headset: Headlight 1"
Bar Tape: Deda Mistral

Front STI: Ultegra Flightdeck
Rear STI: 105 Flightdeck
Brake Calipers: Unbranded Alloy

Front Mech: Tiagra
Rear Mech: 105

Seat: Unbranded Lightweight
Seat Post: Crank Brothers Cobalt 3

Cranks: Dura Ace 7700
Cassette: 105 9sp
Pedals: Dura Ace 7800
Bottom Bracket: Dura ace 7700

Wheels: Rolf Vector Pro
Tyres: Conti GP4000s

Accessories: SRAM garmin out front mount

Weight: ~9.0kg

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Love that! Top paint job :)
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Looks fast standing still. Love it.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Rolf Vectors...brilliant!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • cp_rider
    cp_rider Posts: 15
    Lovely paint job! Really like the look of those old TT frames, no HUGE tubes like nowadays.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    great paint job!
  • iron-clover
    It's had a couple of tweaks since the end of last season, and the test run let me take a couple more pics in the sun.
    dscf2206_edit__by_iron_clover-d8kjz9q.jpg

dscf2203_edit__by_iron_clover-d8kjz8r.jpg

The major change for this year is the wheels- unfortunately the rear Rolf Vector freehub gave out pulling away on one of the later TTs of the season, and unfortunately the part that has worn out hasn't been made for around 10 years!
    So instead I've taken the plunge and gone for 38mm carbon tubs- I was very impressed after borrowing a pair from a friend and they're a great multi purpose wheelset which are also much, much lighter than the Rolfs which might help in the hilly events.

The brake cable routing has also been improved- routing directly into the bars rather than awkwardly through the bar ends as before which has restored a lot of brake feel and tidied up the cockpit a little.

I think it's still able to go faster than I can despite it's age, although to be fair I don't think I'd want to be riding anything else ;)
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I'm sad to see the demise of the Vectors. They take me right back. Still a great looking bike, it's just so cool.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Nice rig, that. Any particular reason for sticking with those shifters?
  • Nice rig, that. Any particular reason for sticking with those shifters?

I still have those shifters on the machine- although I do plan to change them eventually. It's partially because I haven't found any dirt cheap 9/10 speed bar end shifters yet, and partially because I ride to most TTs (no car yet) which makes things much easier over lumpy terrain.
  • iron-clover
    After another season and a half of TTs (including the Amateur Worlds in it's last configuration) I've finally moved onto the usual bar end shifters, gone up to 10 speed in the process and managed to borrow a disk from a friend.

untitled_by_iron_clover-dab8alv.jpg
    untitled_by_iron_clover-dab8ayy.jpg

I think this is this frame's ultimate evolution- I've tried to keep the slight retro feel and doubt I will make any further significant changes in the pursuit of speed as it would likely wreck the look of the bike.
    I'd be very pained to replace it for a more modern frame just for a few more seconds advantage- it is still a gorgeous bike and they certainly don't make them like this anymore!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I actually think a more modern set of bars and aero brake levers would do this frame justice.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach