Canyon Ultimate AL SLX FRAMESET ME

DavidJB
DavidJB Posts: 2,019
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting this frame to replace my alu ridley frame for my training bike/winter bike (one and the same to me as I can only afford one power meter ;))

I'm going to stick with Alu due to the brutal turbo sessions I do so don't want to bolt a carbon frame to it and also just because it's a winter hack which I don't want to worry about bashing about.

Has anyone got one? How do they find the ride compared to other alu frames and other carbon frames around a similar (or slightly higher) price?

I do hard interval sessions along with 5 hr + base sessions in the winter where the ridley's harsh ride really does bite!

Thanks

David

Comments

• swj1
    swj1 Posts: 70
    I have one on the way, I will report back when it arrives :)
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    swj1 wrote:
    I have one on the way, I will report back when it arrives :)

Thanks a lot mate. I look forward to hearing from you.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I've got two Canyon Ultimate AL's. One is sat on the turbo the other gets ridden out and about. I love them.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • The only frame that I found better than the Ultimate AL was the CAAD10.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    The only frame that I found better than the Ultimate AL was the CAAD10.

I did contemplate a CAAD before I bought the second AL but the AL was £600 with seatpost and stem also bearing in mind Ratsbeyfus' issues with his CAAD I'm glad I didn't.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227

I did contemplate a CAAD before I bought the second AL but the AL was £600 with seatpost and stem also bearing in mind Ratsbeyfus' issues with his CAAD I'm glad I didn't.

Don't worry too much about it, Canyon's warranty department is also known to be pretty awful if that is a consolation!

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12830423&start=80
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    gabriel959 wrote:

Don't worry too much about it, Canyon's warranty department is also known to be pretty awful if that is a consolation!

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12830423&start=80

not in my exp re a rear mavic wheel that went faulty on my canyon mtb, they were suberb, infact it was amazing, they just sent me a new wheel and I then returned the faulty one, the paid all the postage and couldn't have been more helpful - so no down time... I would never buy from the mainstream manufactures now, too expensive

back to the op... there is a guy in our club who uses the AL for pretty much what the op wants from it and he loves it.