New chain

zanush
zanush Posts: 161
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
After 6 months off the bike due to illness and a knackered achilles i did a quick tentative ride today and the chain was slipping and using the 12" rule method it's just over 12 1/6"
I've got a new kmc chain sitting in it's box, the chainring looks pretty much unscathed but the smallest cog on the cassette does see some wear and not sure if i need to change the cassette aswell or if it's still got left in it.
IMG_20140530_154216862.jpg
Boardman Fs Team
Felt F95

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I doubt the smallest sprocket has worn if the rest are OK, it looks like the way the teeth are shaped to me. Also, I doubt you use the smallest sprocket much so even if it is worn, it won't have much impact.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    The only way to know is to give it a try. If it doesn't slip then all good. If it does whack the other back on.
  • zanush
    Cheers for the replies ;)

My ankle felt really stiff aswell so with the chain slipping i wimped out and pootled back home. This will be the first time i have ever fitted a new chain myself so that will be interesting lol
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • Chunkers1980
    matching worn chains don't normally slip. Check for a stiff link and adjustment
  • zanush
    I wonder if it's the jockey wheels then? as i replaced the very worn plastic ones last year with some aluminium ones just before my illness and achilles injury and this is the first time it has been ridden.
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • Chunkers1980
    Jockey wheels are after the cassette in the loop so won't be them. b-screw affect the wrap so could be that. But you need to work it out what is slipping if it is.
  • zanush
    I'll have to get it on the stand and give the drive chain a good clean and check the adjustment etc, maybe it just needs tweaking after sitting there for just over 6months. I think i'll still try the new chain aswell seeing as the existing one is >12 1/6" and it's still the same drive chain components from new apart from the jockey wheels.
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • bailsofhay
    bailsofhay Posts: 191
    Sounds like what I experienced when I replaced my jockey wheels with alloy ones. Shimano derailleurs upper jockey wheels need a bit of side to side play for smooth shifting and the alloy ones I got had none so I got loads of skipping on the cassette as the chain couldn't line up perfectly. I ended putting my old upper one back on as only my lower jockey wheel needed to be replaced.
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    if its the boardman (which it looks like it) Its a X7 sram derailleur. I've just changed my chain on mine and had to do the cassette too. Picked up a KMC X10 chain for £22 and SLX 10 speed cassette for £26.

45 mins to swap all over and tweak gears job done.

Seems fine after a short jaunt out with the kids this afternoon.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • zanush
    Aye it's the SRAM PG-1050 Cassette and sram derailleur on my boardie fs team and the new chain is a kmc x10el which was £22 from wiggle, i'm tempted to get an 11-36 SLX 10 speed aswell just in case.
    I gave the drive train a good clean and adjusted it all on the stand and a quick whizz down the street and it still skipped so i took the chain off and there is loads of play between the rollers and the side plates.
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • zanush
    zanush wrote:
    I wonder if it's the jockey wheels then? as i replaced the very worn plastic ones last year with some aluminium ones just before my illness and achilles injury and this is the first time it has been ridden.
    After a bit of tweaking inbetween watching the tennis today the slipping has stopped after messing about with the b-screw, after closer inspection(wearing my glasses this time) the inner chainring is showing a bit of wear aswell but i think i'll just throw the new chain on tomorrow anyway.
    001.jpg
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • kirby700
    how many miles has it done?

I'm to have to check mine now!
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • kirby700
    Mine doesn't look too dissimilar to yours to be honest.

I rode mainly on big ring yesterday and it felt fine but when I went onto the smaller ring it felt a little ropey.

It just so happened I was abput 15mins away from a shop and nipped in and he diagnosed a bottom bracket on the way out. The bearings are rough so that the next thing to check / change
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • zanush
    My BB is fine as it had one replaced due to the nuggets at Halfords killing it while trying to fix the recurring issue of the crank coming loose.
    With the new chain it's still ok but i did go in to Halfords today to see if i could get an inner chainring but was told "we can't get one but we can do you a new FSA chainset for £134" lol
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • buddy_club
    buddy_club Posts: 935
    zanush wrote:
    My BB is fine as it had one replaced due to the nuggets at Halfords killing it while trying to fix the recurring issue of the crank coming loose.
    With the new chain it's still ok but i did go in to Halfords today to see if i could get an inner chainring but was told "we can't get one but we can do you a new FSA chainset for £134" lol
    Buy your own then - although halfords sorted me out with one with no issues. Just make sure you have the crank puller as with mine i had to physically remove the crank to sort it out.
    Framebuilder
    Handbuilt Steel 29er https://goo.gl/RYSbaa
    Carbon Stumpjumper https://goo.gl/xJNFcv
    Parkwood:http://goo.gl/Gf8xkL
    Ribble Gran Fondo https://goo.gl/ZpTFXz
    Triban:http://goo.gl/v63FBB