Garmin 800 on/off switch

borisface
borisface Posts: 273
edited May 2014 in Road general
I have a garmin 800 which I've had for 2-3 years now. Recently, the on/off switch is becoming difficult to operate. It's not as distinct as it was and I have to press it really hard and waggle it a bit to make it function. The rubber around the switch isn't cracked or perished. Has anyone else had similar issues and/or should I be returning it to garmin?

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Yes - my out of warranty replacement unit did this - I got a replacement (of my replacement) FOC as it failed too soon.
    2-3 years is not bad ... although I'd hope it'd last longer!

To get around it....
    You can turn an 800 on by plugging in the USB to a power socket and unplug. Turn off using the auto-power down function. It becomes a pain when you're out and about, stop and the auto-power down function kicks in ... but you can always carry a small USB battery.

Garmin Out of Warranty replacement is (was) £75 for a unit - no matter what the failure. So if it's particulary annoying then £75 (and return your old unit) will see you with a refurb unit.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    My GF has the same problem with her 800. It is on its way to Garmin as I type. Hers is a 800 white.

My 800 Blue (it is a different model according to Garmin) has had the same use but is perfect.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • damocles10
    damocles10 Posts: 340
    Same thing is happening to my 800 too...it's around 2 years old and used almost everyday. I remember seeing parts on ebay, I may investigate.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Seems like a bit of a design 'issue' then...