Cycling with a hernia

jeannot18
jeannot18 Posts: 720
edited June 2014 in Road general
Has anybody done it? or doing it. Just got diagnosed this morning (Incisional hernia after donating a kidney 18 months ago). Going for a scan next week to see if I will need surgery or not, doctor told me that it is ok to cycle but TBH i have no great faith in him. Thanks
J
Pédale ou crève
Specialized Elite Allez with 105
Rockrider 8.1 : )

Comments

• djp66
    djp66 Posts: 115
    I've just recovered from one (inguinal) that was repaired via keyhole surgery. As this type is in the groin I was advised to avoid cycling for 3 weeks after surgery but it was ok in moderation before the op.

Hope you get it sorted quickly.
  • Alan114
    Alan114 Posts: 5
    Cycled for about nine months with a double hernia, it was OK. Post op it was about four weeks before I was comfortable on the bike.
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    Alan114 wrote:
    Cycled for about nine months with a double hernia, it was OK. Post op it was about four weeks before I was comfortable on the bike.

Ditto. Didn't take too long until I was back on the bike.
  • jeannot18
    Thanks guys. Will carry on riding then until I need the operation. Bloody bugger that's all I needed
    J
    Pédale ou crève
  • Old_Timer
    Old_Timer Posts: 262
    I've had several, all were like yours, incision hernias from surgeries on the abdomen to clean out scar tissue and resection the small intestine. No problems with riding while having a hernia, lifting or stretching the area would be your biggest worry.

Kudos for donating a kidney, that is a solid, stand up thing to do for someone.
    Lets just got for a ride, the heck with all this stuff...
  • jeannot18
    Thanks old timer! Scan on Saturday coming up, so I will know a bit more, and I am lucky enough to have private care with my work so I may get a second opinion from a doctor who maybe cares a bit more than the GP i saw last week.
    J
    Pédale ou crève
  • Old_Timer
    Old_Timer Posts: 262
    Hope all the best for you, do take care of the hernia, though. If you have the surgery let things heal up totally and follow the surgeon's instructions as well as follow up care, the complications really suck :cry: . I have way too much experience with them after all the major surgeries I have had :roll: .
    Lets just got for a ride, the heck with all this stuff...