Tyre width

bailsofhay
bailsofhay Posts: 191
Hi All,
I am trying to replace some tyres on my daughters scooter which has 16" wheels. I want to replace them with road style ones which will have less rolling resistance. The current ones are 16" x 2.125 does anyone know if I can fit 16" x 1 3/8 tyres on the same rims which are just barely over an inch wide( 26.7mm).

Cheers in advance

Comments

• baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    16" is the diameter of the rim. The second measurement is the width of the tyre. So, seeing how you're going to smaller diameter tyre, it shouldn't be a problem.

However... some tyre's manufacturer's interpretation of 16" is different to others. That first fitting may be tricky. I find alcohol helps (for me... not for the rim).
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • bailsofhay
    Cheers for the response Baudman,
    I am aware of the diameters of the rim / tyre it was more whether the rim would be able to take the smaller width tyre as some rims have a minimum width they will accept. The rims on this thing are wider than any of my other bikes which makes me wonder if they will work on such a small width tyre and they are completely unmarked which leaves me with guessing.... So are you saying a rim that will take a 2.125" wide tyre will also work with a 1.375" wide tyre?

Thanks
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    My understanding is that the width of the tyre should not be less than the width of the rim (probably best for the tyre to be a bit wider).

Sheldon Brown has a table of compatible tyre and rim sizes - scroll down on http://sheldonbrown.com/tyre-sizing.html
  • bailsofhay
    Cheers Andrew, went for some 1.5"s in the end just to be safe.
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    bailsofhay wrote:
    So are you saying a rim that will take a 2.125" wide tyre will also work with a 1.375" wide tyre?
    Yup. Provided they're not wider than the tyre.
    My understanding is that the width of the tyre should not be less than the width of the rim (probably best for the tyre to be a bit wider).

Sheldon Brown has a table of compatible tyre and rim sizes - scroll down on http://sheldonbrown.com/tyre-sizing.html

This. :D
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike