Oil out of valve on forks

dot1
dot1 Posts: 538
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys, I'm running some 2010 Rockshox Revelation Dual Airs. I've had this problem a while but its never really an issue as i dont change the air pressure too often. When adjusting the negative air spring which has the valve on the bottom of the fork leg, a small amount of oil spurts out of the valve when I remove the pump head. It is a schrader valve and effectively it fills the valve up with oil, and also goes into the pump connector. I'm guessing this isn't meant to happen and am wondering if it is a common problem or easily fixable or if it just plain doesnt matter. I don't notice any leaks out of any where else on the forks. It happens after I have serviced them also, so that is not an issue. Is it a dodgy valve or dodgy seal somewhere?

I turn the bike upside down when I adjust pressure.
Trek Remedy 7 2009
viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Boardman Pro Singlespeed - Sold
viewtopic.php?t=12752297&highlight=

Giant Defy 5 2012

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There should be some oil in there and so being daft and turning the bike upside down means your putting it all at the valve, do the sensible thing and leave the bike the right way up.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dot1
    How is it being daft? The valve is on the bottom of the leg. So when the bike is the right way up the oil is on the valve. By turning the bike upside down all the oil drains to the top of the fork and away from the negative valve.
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Giant Defy 5 2012
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    There will always be a little oil that sits there even when you have turned the bike over.

One reason to do regular servicing so there is always enough lubrication oil in there.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dot1
    There is enough oil in there. As I said, it happens after I have serviced it. This is not a service issue. My question is; should oil spit out of the valve or not? If it shouldn't, does anybody know what the problem could be?
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Giant Defy 5 2012
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,146
    My Rebas have done it from new - both from the positive and negative chambers, including from the negative chamber when they are upside down. My rear shock spits a little bit out as well.

I wouldn't worry about it as long as you are servicing them regularly because it's only a tiny amount of oil and servicing will make sure the oil level is kept up.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    It's completely fine, don't worry about it...
  • I can't remember a fork or shock I've had that doesn't spit a bit of oil...
    Delete my fucking account.