New training Road Bike - Help Needed?

cstaylor992000
cstaylor992000 Posts: 6
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Looking for general advice, looking for a new training road bike.

Ideally looking at more comfort than out and out aggressiveness and have narrowed it down to a selection of bikes due to finding some offers. What would you recommend of the following and which to pick? Also as I am 6ft 4, it limits sizes a little.

Boardman Road Team Carbon with 105/Tiagra - £900
Cube Agree GTC Compact with Tiagra (Carbon)- 2013 Model found at £750
Giant Defy 1 2013 model with 105 (alum) - £750
Giant TCR Composite 2013 model with Tiagra - £800
Cannondale Synapse Alloy with Tiagra- 2013 Model - £719

I will be swapping the wheels as I have a spare of Mavic's, as most of these bikes wheelset are basic.

Thoughts please of which is best??? Thanks

Comments

• LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Are you fitting mudguards to these choices?
  • No, I have some retro fitted ones but my choice is not based on mudguards.
  • After the recent winter where I was constantly cycling along muddy lanes and through deep puddles/floods I decided discs were the answer, and built myself a Kinesis Pro6, I suggest you therefore consider CX bikes as well. This:
    http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/crosslight/pro6 might be above your budget but can be bought as a frameset and could probably build up a complete bike for less, obviously there are other CX bikes to consider.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Of those I'd probably go for the Synapse, but only because that's the only one I've ridden and it fitted me perfectly.

My winter bike is a Kinesis Racelight Tk (subsequently superseded by the Tk2, Tk3 and 4S) but that was because I wanted proper mudguards and at the time the Synapse didn't have the clearance (it does now). You'd struggle to get a 4S built up for the price you seem to be aiming for.

Maybe a trivial point to you, but if I was choosing a winter bike now I'd be looking for something with concealed cables; the shift cables on my 7 year old 105 stuff get in the way of the front light and annoy me immensely.
  • pmannion9
    pmannion9 Posts: 280
    Kinesis Racelight TK3 worth a look.
    Mounts for rack and full guards if required.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    If you want discs then I'd look at Whyte bikes. Otherwise Moda (Bolero is nice for a few quid more) or planet x alu bikes. There's always Ribble of course.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.