Big bottles

TKF
TKF Posts: 279
edited May 2014 in Road general
Why the hate for big bottles on bikes?

I've noticed comments here and elsewhere and it seems they are as frowned upon as saddle bags or frame mounted pumps.

Personally I don't like mounted pumps or saddle bags and my tools live in a jersey pocket. However I get through a lot of fluid and will often take (and finish) 2x750ml bottles on longer rides.

I don't hold much stock in The Rules but wondered why big bottles got such scorn?

Comments

• Never seen or read anything.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • TKF
    It was this post that reminded me but I've seen it a number of times before

Subject: Show us your scenic bike pics!
    RideOnTime wrote:
    about 10 litres of liquids though...
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    eh?

what.?
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    The answer is quite simple. A lot of forum users here are trend obsessed fashion victims who will happily accept and perpetuate absurd notions including many which prioritise a weird obsession with bicycle aesthetics over function.
  • woody0010
    woody0010 Posts: 27
    My OCD means I always have to ride with 2 bottles. Just having and empty bottle cage would look odd to me. I also use 750ml SIS bottles. I'm sure others will say thats crazy due to excess weight but it works for me.
  • ai_1
    woody0010 wrote:
    My OCD means I always have to ride with 2 bottles. Just having and empty bottle cage would look odd to me. I also use 750ml SIS bottles. I'm sure others will say thats crazy due to excess weight but it works for me.
    They may but they're crazy too so who cares!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    If the rules are a source of amusement for someone then they'd be likely to die laughing at an episode of Miranda (and Miranda is sh1t).
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    DO whatever you are comfortable with. Its a friggin water bottle.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Big bottles just look gash, but not quite as bad as sleeveless tops or camelbaks :wink:
  • ai_1
    mfin wrote:
    If the rules are a source of amusement for someone then they'd be likely to die laughing at an episode of Miranda (and Miranda is sh1t).
    I considered them slightly amusing satire the first time I came across them. Unfortunately, many people don't seem to understand satire and, as mentioned above, are trend obsessed fashion victims. I'm convinced large numbers of them actually take "the rules" somewhat seriously but are aware there's supposed to be a joke there somewhere so they constantly refer to them and consider themselves both great wits and crusaders for virtue in cycling. They're wrong on both counts.
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    750 bottles are cool. My Canyon bottles are the same colour as the bike.They look great. On hot days they provide sufficient fluid. On cold days they add to the load and help with training! I imagine those who diss large bottles have a team car / domestique to provide them with spares on their rides?
  • TKF
    Oh, it's one of The Rules then. Suspected it was bollocks.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    There must be a bloomn' conspiracy going on then because all the ones I've got lately (freebies) have been 750s. Are the free bottle suppliers sat in their warehouses sniggering that they are making riders look silly? We must be told......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Downward
    Downward Posts: 179
    Quite simply because it's the rules. And 500s look better. And they should be these ones:

3492635960_f6bbd58b43.jpg

Only if your over 50.
  • ai_1
    Ai_1 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    I considered them slightly amusing satire the first time I came across them. Unfortunately, many people don't seem to understand satire and, as mentioned above, are trend obsessed fashion victims. I'm convinced large numbers of them actually take "the rules" somewhat seriously but are aware there's supposed to be a joke there somewhere so they constantly refer to them and consider themselves both great wits and crusaders for virtue in cycling. They're wrong on both counts.

Your lack of any sense of humour is in itself very humourous.

gallery_big_mark_wahlberg_chill_out_gif.gif
    You're going to have to explain that to me.
    Because I think their dull attempts at humour aren't amusing I don't have a sense of humour?
    No, sorry. Can't give you that one. My sense of humour is fine - they're just not funny.
  • downhill paul
    downhill paul Posts: 236
    Rule #52 CLEARLY states:
    Bidons are to be small in size. 500ml maximum, no extra large vessels are to be seen on one’s machine. Two cages can be mounted, but only one bidon on rides under two hours is to be employed. Said solo bidon must be placed in the downtube cage only. You may only ride with a bidon in the rear cage if you have a front bidon, or you just handed your front bidon to a fan at the roadside and you are too busy crushing everyone to move it forward until you take your next drink. Bidons should match each other and preferably your bike and/or kit. The obvious exception is the classic Coca-Cola bidon which by default matches any bike and/or kit due to its heritage. Coca-Cola should only be consumed flat and near the end of a long ride or all-day solo breakaway on the roads of France.

I've never heard such shite.
    why would you listen to anyone telling you how much water you can/should drink during a ride of any measured distance. carry whatever sized water bottles you like and as many of them as you need to keep you hydrated during a ride.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Seriously guys, get a life.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    declan1 wrote:
    Seriously guys, get a life.

Oi! Stop getting stroppy about people getting stroppy over nothing at all!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • LinkD
    LinkD Posts: 30
    Ai_1 wrote:
    The answer is quite simple. A lot of forum users here are trend obsessed fashion victims who will happily accept and perpetuate absurd notions including many which prioritise a weird obsession with bicycle aesthetics over function.

Couldn't have put it better myself
  • Nick_M
    Nick_M Posts: 58
    Coca Cola is a drink for American children designed to ensure that they each weigh 300 kg by the time they are an adult. If you put a Coke bidon on a bike you might as well fill the back pockets of your jersey with chips and chocolate hobnobs, buy a ridiculous looking Harley and apply for membership of the NRA. You will be a bad person.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    worst thread ever...
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I often have 2 x 750ml bottles, and it hot weather have some 1 liters bidons to give me 2 litres of fluid. Just carry what you need.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ai_1
    I've never heard such shite.
    why would you listen to anyone telling you how much water you can/should drink during a ride of any measured distance. carry whatever sized water bottles you like and as many of them as you need to keep you hydrated during a ride.

joke
    dʒəʊk/
    noun
    noun: joke; plural noun: jokes

a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter, especially a story with a funny punchline.
    Yeah but where was the amusement and there was certainly no punchline.... I refer you to my earlier criticism of "rules" based "humour"
  • khisanth
    khisanth Posts: 41
    I dont hate them at all. Take the size of bidon thats suitable for you and the length of ride. I go 750ml mostly now (the Elite black Coke bidons!) and any ride longer than 35 miles I take two.

my combi pump fits behind the bottle cage so is discrete due to its small size, rather have my pockets filled with things i will need access to or need to keep safe :)
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    The most amusing thing about 'The Rules' are people getting annoyed about 'The Rules' like they are some serious thing.
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    Because looking like a pro makes you feel like a pro which makes you ride faster :D
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    DavidJB wrote:
    The most amusing thing about 'The Rules' are people getting annoyed about 'The Rules' like they are some serious thing.

I think it's more amusing that riders are justifying what size/quantity bottles they take that don't conform to 'The Rules' ...
  • Tiltzey Boy
    Tiltzey Boy Posts: 120
    I wonder if I should mention on here that I usually carry one DRINK BOTTLE that is 750 ml and one DRINK BOTTLE that is 600 ml, they don't match my bike, or my kit for that matter, and, WTF is a Bidon?

Doh, too late..............................................................

:oops:
    Scott CR1 Pro (Build in progress!!)
    Giant Defy 3
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Sometimes I forget to take a bottle with me. :oops: I try not to let it upset me, but occasionally it does. :cry: Should I start a thread asking what other people do when they forget something? :?
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Who deleted my comment?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875