Lactic acid appearing too soon

declan1
declan1 Posts: 2,470
edited May 2014 in Road general
I've noticed recently that I get the burn way too soon. Even if I just accelerate slightly my legs burn almost instantly. Do you think there's something wrong with my position?

Road - Dolan Preffisio
MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Dont push so hard to begin with?

Get yourself a HR sensor and try and keep within the correct zones when training?

Enjoy the BURN!!!!!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Sitting too far forward?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • declan1
    Doubt it's because of your position... could be mental? Not adapted to position? Lactic threshold low?

I'm thinking lactic threshold - are there ways to quickly (I know...) improve it?

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    lactic acid builds up when you dont get enough oxygen to your muscles, so maybe work on your breathing, try not to hold your breath when really pushing (sounds silly but it can happen!)

or failing that, EPO should help :-)
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • declan1
    Chris Bass wrote:
    lactic acid builds up when you dont get enough oxygen to your muscles, so maybe work on your breathing, try not to hold your breath when really pushing (sounds silly but it can happen!)

or failing that, EPO should help :-)

Yes, that's something I've noticed I'm not very good at. I'm going to try heavy breathing on my next ride :D

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• goonz
    Lactic threshold increases by riding longer in the right HR zone or as I was told by the sports guys at Energy Lab.

I had my lactic threshold test where they took blood and all sorts and gave me my HR zones to train in. This is what it says on my results page for the Anaerobic training zone i.e. the red zone:

"this is the zone for anaerobic training stimuli, used to train your lactic acid tolerance. The intensity is as good as maximal. The lactic acid production is very high, and recovery can take 48-72 hours to occur."

This may just be a very basic explanation and obviously doesn't help with how to train etc (too much to copy here). The results showed my lactate threshold and also got to compare it to a pro riders which was simply crazy.

Heres some of my results (thanks flickr!)
    14113936779_baf4e9c524_b.jpg

And here is the lactate graph for a pro rider...
    14300632115_b892b3037b_b.jpg
  • goonz
    Ill take your comment in jest, but not everyone here is a pro rider (including me) and weighing 65kg didnt help my cause.

This was of course after cycling for ~30mins already with the wattage ramping up 60W every 5 mins.
  • declan1
    goonz wrote:
    Lactic threshold increases by riding longer in the right HR zone or as I was told by the sports guys at Energy Lab.

I had my lactic threshold test where they took blood and all sorts and gave me my HR zones to train in. This is what it says on my results page for the Anaerobic training zone i.e. the red zone:

"this is the zone for anaerobic training stimuli, used to train your lactic acid tolerance. The intensity is as good as maximal. The lactic acid production is very high, and recovery can take 48-72 hours to occur."

This may just be a very basic explanation and obviously doesn't help with how to train etc (too much to copy here). The results showed my lactate threshold and also got to compare it to a pro riders which was simply crazy.

Heres some of my results (thanks flickr!)
    14113936779_baf4e9c524_b.jpg

And here is the lactate graph for a pro rider...
    14300632115_b892b3037b_b.jpg

This is very interesting. I'd love to get some of these tests done as I'm trying to ride to the HR zones but I have no idea if I've calculated it all right or not!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• d_o_g
    d_o_g Posts: 286
    Train more. It's pretty much always the solution.
  • declan1
    D O G wrote:
    Train more. It's pretty much always the solution.

I just find it odd that the lactic acid appears almost instantly after accelerating. I've got top 10s in most climbs around me including a few KOMs so it's not as if I'm really unfit (although I'm certainly not fast).

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Do you grind the cranks rather than spin?
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    When accelerating are you accelerating as hard as you can or just upping the pace?
  • declan1
    Nope, I spin as much as possible. My cadence is, at a guess, around 90-100 average.

I accelerate fairly quickly, perhaps a 5 on the effort scale.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I had this problem, coupled with bad cramps. Then I couldn't get my HR up. Then I got REALLY unwell. It turned out to be Glandular Fever and abnormal* Liver Function.

Still getting over it nearly 12 months later but I went to see Garry Palmer at www.sportstest.co.uk in Feb as I was really struggling. He identified my training zones VERY accurately and gave me a training plan. In short. It's working. REALLY well.

My power at 'endurance' has increased 40-50w as has my FTP in 3 months. I've lost a stone. I did a VERY unexpected PB at the Little Mountain time trial in April. I'm feeling great!

*Fvcked
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • declan1
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I had this problem, coupled with bad cramps. Then I couldn't get my HR up. Then I got REALLY unwell. It turned out to be Glandular Fever and abnormal* Liver Function.

Still getting over it nearly 12 months later but I went to see Garry Palmer at http://www.sportstest.co.uk in Feb as I was really struggling. He identified my training zones VERY accurately and gave me a training plan. In short. It's working. REALLY well.

My power at 'endurance' has increased 40-50w as has my FTP in 3 months. I've lost a stone. I did a VERY unexpected PB at the Little Mountain time trial in April. I'm feeling great!

*Fvcked

That is also very interesting! Thanks for the replies everyone - it's got me thinking :lol:

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.