tyres

Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper Posts: 420
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Anyone recommend a good set of tyres.
At the moment I'm using the standard felt ones that came on:guess what?
my felt.
They are 25's is it with dropping to 23.

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Conti GP4000S or Michelin Pro4 Service Course. If you lke 25s stick with them.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    No obvious benefit in dropping to 23mm. They'll be very slightly lighter (often no more than ~20g per tyre) and may have a minor aerodynamic benefit depending on the rims they're matched to. However, by comparison an equivalent 25mm tyre should be more comfortable, similar or perhaps better for rolling resistance and have better grip (assuming you take advantage of the extra volume and back off the pressure slightly).
    Personally, I can't see any real reason to use 23mm and several to go a little larger.
    Of course your rolling weight will also be relevant. The heavier you are the bigger the advantage of using a bigger tyre. If you're a lightweight then 25s have plenty to recommend them but 23 will work fine too. If you're somewhat heavier than the typical pro cyclist then it's a no brainer - go with the larger tyres!

NB: Regarding the GP4000s and Michelin Pro4 Service Course drlodge mentioned - I've heard good things about both. Just bought some 25mm GP4000S myself but haven't tried them yet. Anyway, be aware that the Michelins Pro4s are reportedly much bigger than 25mm in reality. Depending on the rim they apparently inflate to between 27 and 28mm. I've ridden that size tyre before and really liked them but make sure you have sufficient clearance if you're thinking of getting them. I think the GP4000S are pretty true to size.
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    GP4000S come up a bit bigger than advertised. eg my 23mm's come up at ~25mm on my DA9000 rims.
    Cheers, Stu
  • vespario
    vespario Posts: 228
    Have had 4 pairs of pro4s delaminates. Switched back to GP400s.
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    GP4000 in 23C comes up to 24C or something + are nice, fast and comfy.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    4 pairs as in 8 tyres?
    Out of how many used?
    Given this is the first I've heard of such a problem and I spent some time looking up reviews on these a couple of weeks ago I must say I'm rather sceptical to say the least!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    GP4000s tyres are very good clinchers (excellent grip in all weather, reasonable protection and very fast/light). However, like all race tyres there is a compromise and that is that they are expensive, not too great for longevity and can cut up. Another option would be Schwalbe Ultremo. The ZX option offer almost the same performance and qualities as the Conti's (and similar price) but the DD option are more durable, can take the odd cut and are rather decent in 25mm. Hence, DD's in 25 are now my tyre of choice!
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    Without saying what you want to use the tyres for any advice is a guess.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    It also completely depends where you live, some people live in areas where cuts destroy tyres, some don't, some get punctures, some don't, I worked out the other day I haven't had a puncture in the last 5,000 miles.