Best cassette for compact double (hill climber)

Paultheagle
Paultheagle Posts: 16
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
I am currently in the process of building (via my LBS), my first lightweight tourer/audax bike (kinesis 4s frame, ultegra compact double & group set,mavic open pro custom wheels, tubus rack, full guards etc.

Just wanted opinions on cassette, taking into account that I still light tour with circa 6kg on the rack and with hills in mind.

I was thinking 11-28 gives me the best balance between climbing ability and on flat cadence - what does everybody think, or have experience of ?

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I need 34x28 for hills without 6kg of panniers, would have thought a 32 or 34 cassette would be better, which needs a longer cage rear derailleur.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    11-32. I used 36x27 on this years BCM (with 5kg luggage) and suffered a bit over the last 100k as a result.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    Agree with the above go for either a 32 or 34. You might get away with a 32 on a road rear mech if you're lucky but to get a 34 you'll need a mtb rear mech. If you're running 10 speed you'll need a 9 speed rear mech as the spacing is different between mtb/road. I have a deore slx 9 sp rear mech that runs fine with 105 levers and enables me to run 34x34. Great for touring as I think its always better to have a smaller gear that you don't use or use only occasionally than to be constantly wishing you had something smaller.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    TA Specialties makes a 33 tooth front sprocket that will give you a bit more lower gearing.

Depending on your rear "D", as above, either a 32 or a 28 ought to do the trick.
    FWIW the 11 tooth cog is basically useless, although it seems that manufacturers are intent on putting them on cogsets.
  • borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    Agreed that the 11's are pretty useless as a touring gear but they do mean that you get a better chain line on the 12 sprocket.
  • Paultheagle
    Paultheagle Posts: 16
    Grateful for all the comments guys, many thanks - probably go for 12 -32 as offers best hill climb/flat combo for me :)
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    I rode through the Alps last year carrying one small rear pannier and used a 12-27 9 speed cassette. However I changed the 30 T on the road triple for a 26. Result = 26 inch gear which meant both me and Mrs Whoof could ride quite comfortably no matter what, last 1 km of the Cime de Bonette anyone?
    A 34 chainring and 32t sprocket would give you 28.7 inchg gear. Seems like a sensible touring option.