wheelset reccomendations

dean7879
dean7879 Posts: 127
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi guys I was wondering if you could help me. I'm after a new Set of wheels for my cannondale caad 8 tiagra. I weigh 175 and willing to spend 500 to 600. The ones on my bike are a bit sluggish and need something a bit livelier . I've narrowed it down to a few custom wheelsets(please tell me what you think ) but feel free to reccomend more.

These
http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/race23
http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/race24

and these

Excellight on White Industry T11 with Sapim Laser front and ACI rear: £535

Excellight on Campag Record with CX-Rays: £527

These from strada.
ALpine ATTACK wheelset which will make your bike feel a lot more lively. EU CNC'd hubs / EU extruded quality rim and bladed CX Ray spokes make it a great package.

Front:Aivee Road SR5 Front hub/Ryde Pulse Sprint (front)/Sapim CX Ray Silver or Black Spokes/Black, Red or Alloy finish nipples

Rear:Aivee Road SR5 Rear hub 11 speed rdy/Ryde Pulse Comp (OC rear)/Sapim CX Ray Silver or Black Spokes/Black, Red or Alloy finish nipples
Weight 1358g cost 592

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    dean7879 wrote:
    Hi guys I was wondering if you could help me. I'm after a new Set of wheels for my cannondale caad 8 tiagra. I weigh 175 and willing to spend 500 to 600. The ones on my bike are a bit sluggish and need something a bit livelier . I've narrowed it down to a few custom wheelsets(please tell me what you think ) but feel free to reccomend more.

These
    http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/race23
    http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/race24

and these

Excellight on White Industry T11 with Sapim Laser front and ACI rear: £535

Excellight on Campag Record with CX-Rays: £527

These from strada.
    ALpine ATTACK wheelset which will make your bike feel a lot more lively. EU CNC'd hubs / EU extruded quality rim and bladed CX Ray spokes make it a great package.

Front:Aivee Road SR5 Front hub/Ryde Pulse Sprint (front)/Sapim CX Ray Silver or Black Spokes/Black, Red or Alloy finish nipples

Rear:Aivee Road SR5 Rear hub 11 speed rdy/Ryde Pulse Comp (OC rear)/Sapim CX Ray Silver or Black Spokes/Black, Red or Alloy finish nipples
    Weight 1358g cost 592

I'm the same weight as you and have Excellight on Campag Record - no real benefit of CX Rays other than emptying your wallet, I've Sapim race on the rear (like ACI) and laser on the front. For all round use these are hard to beat, the Archetype rims are also worth a look. Should cost you nearer £300 without the expensive spokes.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    any 32 spoke wheelset is going to have more aero drag than a lower spoke count.

Try Pacenti SL23 rims on record hubs for something stiff wide and light weight. Or Pacneti SL23 on White Inds T'ss in a 24F/28R spoke count. Still very stiff and light.

I also would not bother with CX-rays no real world gain for mere mortal unless you want to save every last watt.

The excellight rim is fine but it is narrower and I like wider rims as they mean wider tyre profile which is always good.

The archetype is another good rim to use.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • drlodge
    Good points...the only reason I went for 32H is that I wanted the Record hubs, and they are only available in 32H. If doing it again, I would probably find a different cup/cone 24H or 28H hub and go with the Archetype rim.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • dean7879
    Thanks guys

so on your advice i think i will go for the pacenti sl23 rims, with the record or whiteindustrie hubs, and sapim laser on front and race on rear spokes

whats the difference between campy record and white industries? any big difference? and why would you have sapim laser on front and sapim race on rear wheels as opposed to lasers on both wheels?

thank you for your help
  • drlodge
    dean7879 wrote:
    Thanks guys

so on your advice i think i will go for the pacenti sl23 rims, with the record or whiteindustrie hubs, and sapim laser on front and race on rear spokes

whats the difference between campy record and white industries? any big difference? and why would you have sapim laser on front and sapim race on rear wheels as opposed to lasers on both wheels?

thank you for your help

Laser spokes are thinner in the middle (1.5mm compared to 1.8mm for the race) and won't build as strong a wheel. On the front its strong enough plus the symmetric nature of the wheel means its inherently stronger than the rear. Building a rear with the offset of today's 10/11 speed wheels will build a wheel like cheese.
    Find me on Strava
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Both Record and White Industries are good, well made hubs and are very durable. Record uses cup and cone bearings whereas Whites use Enduro sealed cartridge bearings. Biggest difference is that White hubs are available in polished alloy whereas Record only come in black so it might depend on how they match the rest of your bike. Do not be tempted to specifiy alloy nipples if riding the wheels year round either - unless you enjoy getting the wheel rebuilt annually.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    edited June 2014
    Two points here;

1) I have alloy nipples on a variety of wheelsets and none need rebuilding annually granted when the rims wear out and they have on one wheelset and yes the spoke will need to cut and replaced but as I am re rimming this is not a huge issue.

I am not suggesting alloy over brass I am just trying to put it into context.

2) Laser can be used on rear wheel. I do it all the time and you what the wheels do not fall apart or go out of true. My own wheelsets are built with lasers all round (all but two MTB wheels thats about 12 in total). The trick is to get the overall lateral wheel stiffness to be high enough to prevent spokes going slack and that's dowen to component selection. That is what kills wheels - fatigue. Fatigue is accelerated on wheels where spokes go slack. If you are building with a mavic open Pro then a thicker spoke is needed but the pacenti rim even on a 24H rear with WI hubs and laser spokes is very very stiff, sitffer than a 36 spoke Open Pro on a ultegra hub with sapim race spokes for example so for that wheel race spokes are simply not needed. So long as the tension is 1200N DS rear the NDS spokes will not be going slack no matter how much power you put out. I'd only use race spokes if the wheelset weight is not a conisderation or I am building for a heavier rider than the spoke count should allow i.e a 90kg racer on a 24 spoke rear wheel or a heavy rider one a 32 spoke or 36 spoke wheelset.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • dean7879
    Great guys
    Very helpful.