Kerb Hopping

Cyclum
Cyclum Posts: 104
edited May 2014 in Road beginners
What are road bikes like for kerb hopping? I don't intend to be doing much of it but much of my cycling will be done during rush hour. On a few occasions cars in stationary traffic have pulled over to the kerb to prevent cyclists from getting past (blooming annoying). On my mountain bike is quite easy to jump up the kerb to get round but I'm imagining is quite a different experience on a road bike.
Thanks.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    this will go to 10 pages, I reckon...
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I tend to just run my front wheel into the back of the stationary car, chuck my weight forward so as to deftly roll over the roof, before landing on my wheels on the bonnet and riding off.

I tend to make sure I give a cheery wave as I ride through the red light. While doing a wheelie.
    Insert bike here:
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    ^ ah! a beginner.

Next stage in your development is to drop your trousers as you start the roll and to perfect your technique to the point where you can deliver a perfectly straight turd on the windscreen as you pass over it.
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Amateurs the lot of yer!

I simply bunny hop over any stationary vehicles regardless of size. Double decker buses are nothing :mrgreen:
  • even better if you get a long row of bus's once you are up there just use the roofs as a new road, just the gaps to jump then.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Why no just ride all the way on the kerb. Make sure to hang a Tesco carrier bag off one handle bar whilst drinking a can of Special Brew.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    If you plan to be doing much kerb hopping I'd suggest erring on the large side with tyre sizes (25mm or, if you have room consider going bigger). Depending on your weight, the height of kerbs and your technique this might not cause you any problems or it might destroy wheels, pinch tubes and generally make a mess of your bike. I'd be inclined to avoid it on a full road bike. A cyclocross bike would be a better choice since you can fit larger tyres and the frame will likely be a little more robust.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    If for some reason you can't filter around the outside I tend to stop, pull the front brake whilst lifting the back wheel onto the pavement, then lift the front on and cycle onward.

Never ride up the kerb, you'll either do some weird skid and fall over if the angle is wrong or get a pinch flat.
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    whoof wrote:
    Why no just ride all the way on the kerb. Make sure to hang a Tesco carrier bag off one handle bar whilst drinking a can of Special Brew.

And just to confirm, that leaves your other hand free for texting or making calls...?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    Ai_1 wrote:
    If you plan to be doing much kerb hopping I'd suggest erring on the large side with tyre sizes (25mm or, if you have room consider going bigger). Depending on your weight, the height of kerbs and your technique this might not cause you any problems or it might destroy wheels, pinch tubes and generally make a mess of your bike. I'd be inclined to avoid it on a full road bike. A cyclocross bike would be a better choice since you can fit larger tyres and the frame will likely be a little more robust.

Road bikes are sturdier than you think
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Ai_1 wrote:

No. They're not.
    I've seen that video before and it in no way conflicts with what I said. I never thought nor said that road bikes were especially fragile.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Imposter wrote:
    this will go to 10 pages, I reckon...

Just get the popcorn in and sit back...
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Took the words out of my mouth...
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Ai_1 wrote:

Yeah, you don't need a cyclocross bike. Just a ten grand(ish) bog standard road bike
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Ai_1 wrote:

Yeah, you don't need a cyclocross bike. Just a ten grand(ish) bog standard road bike

Whatever, the perfect sideways Kerb Hop happens at 4:08, watch, try, fail, repeat until not fail, don't worry too much about damaging your wheels.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Cyclum
    Cyclum Posts: 104
    Fab. I have a few tricks up my sleeve for when my road bike arrives. Although I'll have to kerb the spontaneous off-road 'shortcuts' that I have a tendency to make on my mountain bike.
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    You need a 'Google' bike. 8)
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    Do as Sagan does.......

LT6YLME.gif
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!