Pannier rack for holiday.

grumpygrandad
grumpygrandad Posts: 57
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
I have recently semi-retired and have the time to spend a few weeks in France. I will be cycling with my brother, from Plymouth, via Brittany Ferries, down to Bergerac to catch the TdF individual time trial between Bergerac and Perigeaux. The opportunity was too good to miss as the TT will ge going through a village where friends live. The trip is approx 700km and we have just over a week to complete it. We will be camping overnight along the way. I will be using my old training bike (an 8 year old Spesh Allez) as it has lugs to fit a rear pannier rack. I am hoping to buy a rack/bags second hand as we have a very limited budget for the trip. I don't want to buy something on-line to find that it doesn't fit / isn't up to the job. Any suggestions very gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    TorTec offer good value for money and even their more basic/light weight racks are rated for 25kg loads. If you've got threaded eyelets at the drop outs and bosses on the seat stays, they'll fit. For example:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tortec-ultralite-rear-rack/

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... ortrack250

I've used the Expedition rack heavily loaded on occasion and for the commute on a daily basis without fault.

It replaced an Ultralite rack which I still have surplus to requirements. TBH, the low cost of them brand new means I wouldn't be able to ask enough for it second hand to make it worth my while to sell. You may as well buy new.

Hope that helps,

Rob
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    +1 for Tortec. Used them for years and found them very reliable.

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • Watch for heel clearance on a non touring specific roadbike. Unfortunately for you lots of variables come into play......frame size, shoes, rack, panniers!
    Good luck
  • Thanks for the advice guys - on reflection after your advice and after reading a number of reviews, think I will pop into LBS to get kitted out. Can't think of anything worse than catching my heels for 700km!
    Thanks again.
  • good call
  • Red Rider
    Red Rider Posts: 93
    I tour on an 54cm Allez, with the Tortec Ultralite Ber Nard linked to above. I've got smallish feet, and have no issues with heel clearance. I use Ortleib Back Rollers.

In case you've not got fitted out yet, you'll see that there are two metal arms to attach the rack to the seat stay. On my Allez, I can only attach one of these as the rear brake gets in the way of the other one. It still feels secure, and I have never had any issues despite riding with two well stocked panniers.