Crossing EU borders

Dazz150
Dazz150 Posts: 12
edited May 2014 in Road general
Hi all,

Can anyone shed some light on crossing EU borders? In particular from France (Le Corbier, my base for 2 weeks in August) into Belgium,Germany, Italy & Switzerland.

Most likely crossing in the car, touring on bike and then driving back into France after a day or so. I assume you can cross through on bike on the more minor roads? These crossings seem unmanned so you could come and go as you please?

My research has bought up info on the schengen agreement and now I'm totally confused!

Comments

• gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    EU borders are open. So - France/Italy/Belgium/Germany will just be open road, but I'd keep your passport on you to be on the safe side, they occasionally have customs and border patrols just inside each country, but that tends to be more on the motorways. Minor roads will just have sign saying the country.

Swiss borders will probably have someone from either country at the border, but they're fine with EU passports. The Swiss borders (particularly motorway ones) are becoming more open these days so you may just sail in and out. However if you're going to drive on Swiss motorways you'll need a toll sticker, they sell them at the motorway borders. If you're not going to use the motorways there you won't need one.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I live directly on the border between Germany and Holland and there is zero intrusion between crossing states. The border with Belgium is also only 50km away from me.

As mentioned, Switzerland is a bit different as they are non EU and you can get stopped by the Zoll (Customs) checking you are not bringing anything back into the EU without paying tax etc. Apart from this, most of NW Europe is completely open to travel through. Be mindful of each countries laws on cycling though as they can differ massively in regards to lighting and riding on paths/roads.

Germany has a lot of grey areas in regards to riding on the road. Some you can, some you can't whereas Holland and Belgium its pretty much paths all the way, but they are so good you don't need to ride on the roads.

Also as Gozzy mentioned. Keep you passport on you as you must carry ID on you at all times in some countries. I know of people popping into Holland without their passports and getting arrested. German Police can demand to see your ausweis (passport/id card) on the spot for no reason. Its just not worth the hassle being caught out.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    If you cross into Switzerland, keep €40 handy, they'll want it from you if you intend to use the motorways, you'll get a free sticker for the windscreen after payment.
    Austria has a similar system, but cheaper, you can get a 7 day pass at service stations for around €10 IIRC
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    France now requires you to carry your own breathalyser (in the car, not on the bike!), which really means having two in case you get asked to use one.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Cycled from Switzerland into France last year through Geneva. Went straight through without having to stop. The same is true when I have entered France from Italy via the Alps or from Spain in the Pyrenees. Never done it in a car.
  • The answer is quite simple - it has very little to do with the EU and is more about the Schengen Agreement. All citizens of the EU (plus the EEA states of Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein plus Switzerland which is again slightly different) have a right to visit, without a visa, all counties in the Union. Thats the first point - you will never need a visa.

In other words if you have a passport form any of the above countries, you have a legal right to visit any of the above countries.

Separately, most EU nations (basically every EU member, plus the EEA countries, except the UK and Republic of Ireland and a few of the new ones) have signed the Schengen agreement, meaning there are no borders between them. This means that if you happen to be in (even if you are not a citizen of) a country in that agreement, you can walk, drive, fly, cycle or swim to any other country in the agreement without a passport.

So an American can pogo-stick across the border between Italy and France, without a passport, because he is already in the Schengen area - as could you if you wanted!

Britain is in the EU, but has not signed the Schengen Agreement. This means that you have a right to visit any Schengen country (as an EU citizen), but you still need a passport to get into the first one, once you are in a Schengen country though, you do not need a passport to travel to any other Schengen country. Finally, you will need a passport to leave the from a Schengen country to a non Schengen country (like the UK). There are other rules too, for example anyone in Sweden (EU) can go to Norway (Non-EU) because they have a separate agreement, and anyone in the UK can get into the Irish Republic because we have a separate agreement with them.

In your case, you need a passport to get into France, then you can go to Italy, Germany, Belgium, Malta, The Netherlands, Luxembourg, Spain, Portugal etc to your hearts content and you WILL NOT be stopped at a border. The only exception in Switzerland. Switzerland is in Schengen, so you WILL NOT need a passport to go from any of the Schengen countries into Switzerland, but it is not in the EU, which means that it operates outside of the common EU customs zone. You may need to pay taxes on goods entering, but in reality if you cycle or walk over the border you you might not even notice you've done it! You will need your passport to get back into the UK.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Me-109 wrote:
    France now requires you to carry your own breathalyser (in the car, not on the bike!), which really means having two in case you get asked to use one.
    Nope that was dropped some time ago.

After the then presidents mate had sold millions of them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • No problem, I dont even take my passport except when crossing in to Switzerland, even than they dont seem to bother cyclists. Just slow down when you go through the crossing.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I took my passport with me when I cycled from Italy into Switzerland, but the border guard looked at me like I was a madman when I tried to show it to him!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    The places where I cross over into France from Switzerland don't even have border guards. Most times, I don't bother to take id with me.
  • Dazz150
    Dazz150 Posts: 12
    Very informative replies, thank you everyone!

Now I can get on with the good part, route planning :D
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    Carry ID with you at all times, most European countries require that by law. A passport will do.

If you're taking a car, make SURE you do the right research. The different countries have different requirements, but you will likely need to have with you in the car: Driving Licence, Car Registration, Insurance documents. You will also likely (depending on country) need to have a triangle, yellow jackets, spare bulbs, and all that jazz. I think some places require a first aid kit, too. Headlights must also be adjusted, or if that isn't possible, fitted with a diffuser sticker. If you don't have one of the newer EU numberplates, you'll need a GB sticker, too. They do sell this by the ferry/Eurotunnel but it's a ripoff and best bought at Halfords or whatever beforehand.

The only times I've been checked were in France (just after the Eurotunnel they checked cars). The Portuguese police are quite hardcore about this (my wife is from there, so I'm tehre a lot). You must have the yellow jackets etc. within reach of the drivers' seat (so not in the boot) and they will come down on you like bricks if you don't have your ID and documentation.

See this link: http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/to ... ipment.pdf
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    As an addendum, the cops can be really bipolar in Europe. The French police stop was really aggressive, quite clearly trying to catch me out (i'm seriously OCD about car stuff so I was in immaculate shape, but others were trying the 'I didn't know that' defense which wasn't washing). The Swiss police take a really dim view of even the slightest speeding offence.

Best experiences I've had were: in Italy a few years ago, I rented a red Alfa Romeo 3 litre V6, lovely motor. My buddy drove his Porsche 911 from the UK, we hooked up outside Bologna and were making somewhat generous progress. Cops pulled us over, fined my buddy a small fortune, much gesticulation, stern warnings etc. They then marched him over to my red Alfa, I was bracing myself for the same treatment, but they just then said 'listen, if you want to drive fast in Italy, you must have an Italian car. Have a nice day'. And off they went with a friendly wave. Outstanding performance, love Italy.

I got pulled by the Portuguese police for illegally crossing a double white line to turn left. This was in the countryside. They checked my documents, and were clearly expecting vocal excuses from me but I just said fair play guys, I have broken the law and I'm happy to deal with the consequences. They looked genuinely taken aback (this is not in the national nature), couldn't compute for a minute or two, and then left on their merry way without uttering another word.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    nicklouse wrote:
    Me-109 wrote:
    Nope that was dropped some time ago.

After the then presidents mate had sold millions of them.
    When I looked into it for last year's TdF it was in place as law but isn't enforced or checked. At a couple of quid for two I thought it best to have some anyway rather than risk being involved in a roadside bi-lingual discussion with a French copper on whether it is or isn't a requirement.

There's also a requirement to carry a hi-viz vest that you can get to without getting out of the car, and a warning triangle. These things all cost buttons off Ebay / Tesco etc, and for the sake of arguing the point in O level French with a Gendarme? Not worth the bother.