Garmin 500 OR Wahoo RFLKT

Churchill123
Churchill123 Posts: 341
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Anyone got a Wahoo RFLKT? - They any good?

They sync up ok with Strava? - only after routine stats such as miles ridden, average speed, cadence etc..

Be interested to get peoples thoughts..

Comments

• sanspoof
    sanspoof Posts: 111
    I've had the garmin 500 for a while now, I love it...the only annoying thing is that you have to plug into the computer after each ride to upload to Strava etc....

The only thing that would put me off about the RFLKT is that you essentially need two pieces of hardware to replicate the job...plus if you go on longer rides the phone battery does start to die......

But it does look nice, be interesting to see if anyone has one.....But I would thoroughly recommend the Garmin...
  • Churchill123
    Thanks sanspoof - I've heard some really good things about Garmins - just interested to get a real life review of the RFLKT
  • rs6mra1
    rs6mra1 Posts: 105
    If you were to consider the Garmin Edge 510 then you will be able to sync with - Android or iOS phone or tablet
  • Churchill123
    The issue i have with the garmin 500 is that you have to manually plug it into your pc/mac and upload rides to strava - to me thats a pain in the arse and i like the fact on my iphone it will auto upload it if you get my drift..

Will the 510 auto upload over wifi to strava with no need to connect to a pc?
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    If you're considering a Garmin then get the 510, as it has the ability to sync to Garmin Connect over your iPhone. As far as I know it doesn't automatically sync with Strava unless you install some third party transfer foo - as ever it's never as simple as you first hope.
  • markhewitt1978
    Thanks sanspoof - I've heard some really good things about Garmins - just interested to get a real life review of the RFLKT

I don't have one but from what I've researched on them, the displays are fixed if using the Strava app. You can customise the display if using the Wahoo app, but then you have the issue of uploading to Strava when you're finished.

Personally I use the Strava app in my back pocket and a separate simple cycling computer on my stem.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    The issue i have with the garmin 500 is that you have to manually plug it into your pc/mac and upload rides to strava - to me thats a pain in the ars* and i like the fact on my iphone it will auto upload it if you get my drift..

Will the 510 auto upload over wifi to strava with no need to connect to a pc?
    No. You have to use a Bluetooth connection to a phone running the Garmin app. I don't really see any issue with plugging a GPS device into a computer to upload data to Strava etc. If you do you can copy off the log files as well and keep a backup of them. You have to plug it into something anyway to charge the battery.
  • I've got a RFLKT, along with the Wahoo speed-sensor and heart-rate monitor, and do like it.

I know a few people with Garmin devices and had been thinking about getting one, but it just happened that the Wahoo stuff was very cheap on Amazon at the time, and I'm pretty pleased I did. The big plus for me is that the RFLKT isn't too big, sits well on the stem and shows you all the information you want (time, speed, distance, hr and cadence). I suppose I would consider getting a Garmin in the future, but only for one with satnav.

Uploading to strava is easy using the Whoo fitness app on your phone, and I quite like the information it gives you about burn and burst time (broadly the time spent in different HR zones). The downside is the battery life of your iPhone. I get round this on longer rides by plugging the phone into a mini-charger, but it does mean that you have to carry an extra piece of kit (I'd carry my phone on a ride regardless of whether I had a separate cycle computer).

I've also been impressed with Wahoo's support; when I had an issue with the speed-sensor they were very quick to respond and sent a new one with few questions asked.
  • eddiefiola
    eddiefiola Posts: 344
    Assuming you connect your Garmin to your phone while youre out and about (eg. you use Live Tracking) then set it to upload to Garmin Connect after a ride, then use something like http://www.copymysports.com/ and that ride will sync over to Strava automatically too.
  • Churchill123
    I've got a RFLKT, along with the Wahoo speed-sensor and heart-rate monitor, and do like it.

I know a few people with Garmin devices and had been thinking about getting one, but it just happened that the Wahoo stuff was very cheap on Amazon at the time, and I'm pretty pleased I did. The big plus for me is that the RFLKT isn't too big, sits well on the stem and shows you all the information you want (time, speed, distance, hr and cadence). I suppose I would consider getting a Garmin in the future, but only for one with satnav.

Uploading to strava is easy using the Whoo fitness app on your phone, and I quite like the information it gives you about burn and burst time (broadly the time spent in different HR zones). The downside is the battery life of your iPhone. I get round this on longer rides by plugging the phone into a mini-charger, but it does mean that you have to carry an extra piece of kit (I'd carry my phone on a ride regardless of whether I had a separate cycle computer).

I've also been impressed with Wahoo's support; when I had an issue with the speed-sensor they were very quick to respond and sent a new one with few questions asked.

Does your ride download to wahoo fitness app wirelessly? - then from the app on your phone i imagine are you then able to send the data over to strava?
  • atkho
    atkho Posts: 3
    Hey Churchill, I've been using a RFLKT since the start of the year with all the Wahoo sensors (HR, RFLKT and speed/cadence). In terms of battery life, I have a 2 year old iphone 4s which uses 7%-10% battery per hour when using RFLKT so easily achieve 3-5 hour rides. For longer rides, I have a £10 case charger from ebay which gives me 5 hours+ of riding and enough charge to remain at 100% for (my estimate) an extra 1.5-2 hours after too! So battery is not a worry generally for me when using RFLKT. You don't say which phone you have?

I use an app called Cyclemeter which generally has more ability to customise data (on app and via RFLKT e.g. Choosing which button(s) start thr tracking, switch backlight on, lap etc.) , track my usual routes to show how I progress and the usual data such as power, speed, ascent etc. This also supports upload wirelessly to Strava - note this and rflkt capabilities are one off payments. Just to echo above, the support team via Cyclemeter are very quick to tackle issues and are very open to new ideas too!

The only downside of phone/RFLKT vs. Garmins you may encounter is the navigation side and even the breadcrumb trail some of their devices provide. I would love this capability but can't justify new headunit, new sensors whilst still carrying a phone. When I get lost it usually means stopping, phone out of jersey and checking where I am..with a Garmin you obviously avoid all this!

Be interesting to see which you end up with..let me know if you have any further questions.
  • Churchill123
    atkho wrote:
    Hey Churchill, I've been using a RFLKT since the start of the year with all the Wahoo sensors (HR, RFLKT and speed/cadence). In terms of battery life, I have a 2 year old iphone 4s which uses 7%-10% battery per hour when using RFLKT so easily achieve 3-5 hour rides. For longer rides, I have a £10 case charger from ebay which gives me 5 hours+ of riding and enough charge to remain at 100% for (my estimate) an extra 1.5-2 hours after too! So battery is not a worry generally for me when using RFLKT. You don't say which phone you have?

I use an app called Cyclemeter which generally has more ability to customise data (on app and via RFLKT e.g. Choosing which button(s) start thr tracking, switch backlight on, lap etc.) , track my usual routes to show how I progress and the usual data such as power, speed, ascent etc. This also supports upload wirelessly to Strava - note this and rflkt capabilities are one off payments. Just to echo above, the support team via Cyclemeter are very quick to tackle issues and are very open to new ideas too!

The only downside of phone/RFLKT vs. Garmins you may encounter is the navigation side and even the breadcrumb trail some of their devices provide. I would love this capability but can't justify new headunit, new sensors whilst still carrying a phone. When I get lost it usually means stopping, phone out of jersey and checking where I am..with a Garmin you obviously avoid all this!

Be interesting to see which you end up with..let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks for such a detailed and thought out response.. so in a nutshell by tracking your ride through the wahoo app to get the lay out on the actual device you want, and then as soon as the rides finished you can send that data on my iphone 5 that ive used to record my ride to send that data directly into strava ?
  • atkho
    atkho Posts: 3
    edited May 2014
    You're welcome. Yes you can upload directly from your iphone 5 to Strava.

Try it now before you purchase the RFLKT, start the wahoo app n pop it in your pocket. Once you've finished your ride you can upload to Strava/save on app. The RFLKT itself only mirrors (reflects) the data from your phone to the head unit..hence the name, so you can capture data without the RFLKT but not without the phone. :D
  • markhewitt1978
    Does your ride download to wahoo fitness app wirelessly?

It's already there. All the RFLKT does is show information which is being gathered by the iPhone, all the tracking etc is done by the iPhone itself.
  • Churchill123
    atkho wrote:
    You're welcome. Yes you can upload directly from your iphone 5 to Strava.

Try it now before you purchase the RFLKT, start the wahoo app n pop it in your pocket. Once you've finished your ride you can upload to Strava/save on app. The RFLKT itself only mirrors (reflects) the data from your phone to the head unit..hence the name, so you can capture data without the RFLKT but not without the phone. :D

Absolutely hero!