how do Sidis compare to Specialized or Shimano, fit-wise?

maddog 2
maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
are they narrower/wider/taller whatever?

Currently on Spesh (with green/high insoles) but I'm considering a change.

Obviously I should try some on but I thought I'd do some checking first.
Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer

Comments

• northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I have a medium to slightly narrow fitting and my experience with Spesh and Sidi has been pretty consistent:
    Sidi size 46
    Spesh size 45.

Sidi make great shoes and terribly insoles, so I'd suggest you try Sidi's for size using your footbeds. The Sidi insoles are thin/ unpadded/ pretty useless!

Peter
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Both mine are 44, the Sidis are a little smaller, both laced up with wire. The insole of my Sidis just as good/bad as the Spesh. Specialized shoes have built in Varus, so that maybe something to consider.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    My Sidi are pretty much the same fit as my Shimanos. Both are 44.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    ta.

I guess it's the width that I'm interested in more than anything. I can obviously find the right size (44,45 etc.) but I thinking that maybe the Sidis were narrower along the foot and in the toe-box. Not sure why I would think that though...
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    I needed to go up a size from Spesh to Sidi - Spesh BG Road Pro in 43, Sidi Ergo 2 in 44. I also tried on some of the S Works (Boa) shoes and found I needed a 44 in those - IME they come up smaller than other Spesh shoes. +1 on Sidi insoles, they are garbage and I swapped my spesh ones straight in.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I found my sidis to be pretty narrow. They used to do a 'mega' as a wider version ?

Shoes are something that will last for years so I think its well worth getting out and trying them on for fit in the shops.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Sidi are definitely narrow, as are Shimano... and as are my feet.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    I made the mistake of buying Sidis 2 sizes up as the pair one size up felt very tight. After breaking them in I realised that one size bigger than normal would have been ok. The "leather" softened up a bit and become more accommodating.

As for the width, Sidis make some of their models in a wider version. In general most Italian shoes ("normal" shoes) tend to be narrow.

Great shoes, though. Can't help you with the comparison as I don't go near anything for a bike that starts with SHI.. :lol:
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yup - I think I'm half a size larger in Sidi than Spesh S-Works. And, as has been stated, the width is quite different. And I totally agree about Sidi footbeds (if you can call a cheap bit of crap a footbed). I so much prefer the Speshes
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Spudboy
    Spudboy Posts: 101
    As an alternative I made the move from Specialized to Giro (Factors) and wow what difference in comfort. They're a little narrower than Spesh but fit like a glove. The footbeds are amazing too and come with 3 different arch supports. I realise fit is personal but I've not heard a bad review of the Giro shoes and well worth a look.