Kaffenback 2 - not feeling the love - why?

samsbike
samsbike Posts: 942
edited June 2014 in Road beginners
I got a little distraught with not having mudguards on my commuter so I bought a kaffenback 2 with discs. I expected it to ride similar to a croix de fer (the 725 version) and to be honest its a little dull and lifeless. I am not sure if its the geometry or the wheels or what. Its totally standard but running 28s gatorskins. My usual commuter runs 25 M+, so I assumed this would be more positive but it doesn't feel that way.

Does anyone else have this experience or does it take awhile to get used to something.

thanks

Comments

• andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Might be the tyres. I put 25 mm Gatorskins @95-100 psi on my Synapse, over the winter.
    It made it feel dead and lifeless, sometimes while going over rough tarmac, I had to look down to check I did have a flat.
    I've now got GP4000s II tyres on, and its much more comfortable, and has a hugely improved feel over all surfaces
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It may be down to frame material construction - plain gauge steel tubing can feel a bit dead and lifeless. I got rid of a Pompino for the same reason - I'm not a heavy rider.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    The tubing is apparently double butted, so I thought it would be a little like 531. I was hoping someone had ridden this and a cdf back to back and share their thoughts.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I've recently bought a CdF. I was really thrilled riding on the 35mm tyres off road, but when I switched to 28 mm it got a lot rougher, even on the road. I can't fit mudguards on with the 35mm tyres, so need the narrower tyres. I may yet try the 32mm currently on my hybrid.