Need some help with compatibility on project road bike

calbear81
calbear81 Posts: 2
edited May 2014 in Workshop
Hey guys,

I'm building a road bike for my wife (surprise!) and trying to find a cost effective way to do so w/o going overboard on parts. She's not a hardcore biker so she doesn't care as much about weight but I couldn't resist a deal I got on a Women's small Orbea carbon/alu bike that had an older Ultegra 6500 triple crankset (30/39/52) and 6500 brakes.

Since she's a beginner, I was thinking of going with some newer Tiagra/105 level parts that are a bit heavier but durable. Here's what I was thinking of doing, but a bit concerned about the mix match of parts. I know the x700 series don't work because the index and pulls don't work with older brakes.

Proposed parts list

- Tiagra 4603 shifters (3x10 speed)
- 105 FD-5603 front triple clamp on
- 105 RD-5600 rear derailleur
- 105 CS-5600 cassette (12-25) - take off from other bike

I think this would work but wanted to get a gut check from the experts on whether or not i'm going to have a problem mixing these together. Will the 105 FD shift my ultegra correctly based on the ramps?

Thanks!

Comments

• gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    edited May 2014
    Yes it'll all be fine.
    There's mixed opinions about whether x700 and x600 brakes and levers should be mixed.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    If your taking the cassette off the other bike then, dependant on wear, you may need the chain as well.

Not worth getting a KMC for a tenner from CRC and matching new Tiagra cassette for probably not much more.

EDIT: Tiagra 10 speed cassette is £14.99 at CRC. For the sake and hassle of matching worn chains and cassettes I'd do it.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.