Where do you put all your stuff?

redrabbit
redrabbit Posts: 93
edited June 2014 in Road beginners
I've recently been doing more mountain biking but I'm very close to buying a road bike for around £650 (Trek 1.5).

I may use this to cycle to work 1-2 days a week, at least initially. It's 11 miles to work, and 11 back (obviously), so I will probably have to work up to that as it will take me time to adjust.

Few questions about this:

1) Where do you store: your iphone, your house keys, wallet, etc... I know you get jerseys with pockets in the back but I wouldn't want to stick my phone in there in case it fell out. Same for house keys. I've read you shouldn't use a bag but that's a bit difficult for commuting. I haven't even mentioned lunch for the day!

2) I sweat a lot... any tips for getting to work and cooling down/showering? Sounds silly but when I cycled before, I would get to work, shower + get changed and be sweating profusely for about 90 minutes after. It was very embarassing.

3) Puncture repair kit - I plan to use a saddle bag (I've read this is normal procedure) to store 2 puncture repair kits, levers, etc... just in case.

Any other tips?

Will have a good look through forums too

Thanks,
RR

Comments

• redrabbit
    Oh and in terms of lunch, what I plan to do was:

Drive in one day for work with shirts and shower things.
    Day before cycling in, bring lunch for the next day, so I can cycle in and eat what's already there.

Just a bit difficult getting logistics sorted.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    A small rucksack would seem to be the obvious solution.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    edited May 2014
    1) You shouldn't use a bag, why not? Its an 11 mile ride.
    I use a Deuter air (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deuter-race-exp-air-rucksack/) to do shirt runs once a week. The rest of the week the back pockets are plenty. The only time something ever fell out I'd gone over the bars. And yes, the iPhone that fell out was repeatedly run over, thankfully my Strava recording survived, few.

2) slow down near the end of the ride and start to cool down before you shower.

3) Back pockets, sadle bag or I use a bottle tool holder.

I have at times used an ortlieb large saddle bag, it is big enough for lunch, a shirt etc. Might work for you to do the lunch bit, no need for a drive day.
  • aberdeenal
    aberdeenal Posts: 200
    I fill my locker / desk at work with shirts, socks and punts on a Monday. I leave a pair of shoes and trousers too along with a microfibre towel and toiletries. I take all my "worn" stuff home on a Friday and repeat.

I use a small saddle bag which holds a multi-tool, latex gloves (for emergency maintenance) and a spare tube. In my 2nd bottle holder I have a "tub" which houses another spare tube plus repair kit and a couple of emergency gels if I decide to go on a 50 miler before going home.

My wallet, keys, iPhone and security pass are split between my jersey rear pockets.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    pockets, things will not come out of jersey pockets unless you fall off, i use a lightweight rucksack or a musette on days when i've got to more than'll fit in pockets, if you'd find that too hot you can get cycling packs that have a springy frame to keep an airgap between back and pack

if it's raining, a ziploc bag will prevent the phone getting wet

small saddle bag...
    spare tube
    puncture repair kit - rema tiptop tt04, the best there is, plus it comes in a neat little plastic case
    multitool with a chain tool on it
    kmc link in case you ever need it - i've used one in c. 5 years, to fix someone else's chain
    tyre lever (one is enough)

if you struggle to cool down, reduce effort in the 10-15 minutes before you get there, on arrival linger outside 5-10 minutes to cool off a bit; in summer cold shower, or start with the shower warm, then reduce the temperature, either way, stay in the water until you actually feel cold
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Quite a few jerseys have an extra pocket with a zip for valuables - worth looking out for when you buy your next one. But even the open pockets are pretty secure, and I stick everything else in them - spare tube, levers, patches, mini pump, pair of thin nitrile or latex gloves in case the chain comes off, cereal bars and multitool on longer rides, etc. You can cram in a surprising amount of stuff without it becoming uncomfortable or even noticeable if the jersey is well designed and fits well.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    the reason you dont back pack is mainly it makes your back sweaty, but also if you fall off the stuff in your backpack is likely to pushed into your back, which if its sharp and pointy will hurt more

but then my phone and keys go in my jersey back pockets, totally not a problem they dont leap out even going over speed bumps, and I just use panniers to carry clothes and lunch, but appreciate some workplaces expect more in terms of smarter clothes and I know some of the people in our office keep a change of clothes (suits and stuff) at work so dont have to bring those in all the time, or maybe bring in bits at a time, I always keep my office shoes at work, but thats about all I can fit in my locker

in terms of overheating, maybe a case of just wearing too much, and youll eventually hit a happy medium for the temps of the day once youve been going for a while, Im always suprised when I think its too cold to be walking around in short sleeves but is then perfect for cycling. and also the treat the last stretch as a warm down advice is good its a lot harder to do than it sounds though :)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've never lost anything out of my back pockets in thousands of miles.

You will need a bag for your kit unless you can fit panniers ?
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    I keep my house key on a lanyard around my neck. The pockets on a cycling jersey are quite deep and I've never had a problem storing my phone in there - a lot of jerseys have zip pockets designed for phones and valuables.

On my Tarmac I have a saddle bag in which I store spare tubes and other tools. Occasionally my phone will be stored in here too.

On my Venge I have a Specialized Reserve Rack and Keg into which I store spare tube and tools. A mini pump and co2 cannisters are also stored on the rack.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    If I am commuting to work I use a rack and pannier. If your frame does not have eyes for this youy can use p-clips. This means I don't get a sweaty back and can comfortable carry all my stuff. On the way in; change of clothes, lunch plus usual tubes, tyre levers etc. On the way home I fill it with wood for my log burner.

If I am just riding. Tools etc in a small saddle pack, pump on the frame. Cape or gillet in my pockets along with food, keys and money. I put the keys behind the cape so if I were to come off I would not stab myself with them.

You can also cut the top off and old drink bottle and store your stuff in this in the second bottle cage.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    redrabbit wrote:
    I
    1) Where do you store: your iphone, your house keys, wallet, etc... I know you get jerseys with pockets in the back but I wouldn't want to stick my phone in there in case it fell out. Same for house keys. I've read you shouldn't use a bag but that's a bit difficult for commuting.

I always have my phone and keys in my back pockets, never fallen out yet. If your worried you can get jerseys with zip pockets then there's no danger at all.
    3) Puncture repair kit - I plan to use a saddle bag (I've read this is normal procedure) to store 2 puncture repair kits, levers, etc... just in case.

You don't need two repair kits! Why would you? Better to take a spare tube and levers anyway.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    When I started riding I was a bit paranoid and only used jerseys with zip pockets for storing my keys. However I soon realised that's not necessary. Jersey pockets are usually pretty deep, they don't bounce around much and you can always stuff less critical stuff in on top of the important things. I now routinely carry my phone (in a sandwich bag for moisture protection) and keys in my back pocket. I've never lost anything while riding.

You could get a big saddlebag for carrying some lunch and clothes without wearing a rucksack.
    There are saddle bag options in the carradice link below with up to 24L of capacity which should be plenty.
    https://carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_ ... gory_id=13
    https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.c ... /Seat-Bags
    Alternatively you can use panniers if you prefer and if your bike can easily accomodate racks.

But assuming you've got a rucksack already, why not give it a try first and see if it bothers you. You may find a bag on your back a little sweaty but it'll probably be okay for an 11 mile ride. Try it and see.
  • redrabbit
    Thanks for all the replies.

Well the overwhelming consensus is that I can use the jersey back pockets, so if I do get a road bike, that's what I will do.

I wear shirt + tie for work. So will drive in one day, with all the stuff I need, then cycle in the next day with cycling gear.

In terms of lunch, I have two options... drive in the day before with it which is probably best, or just put it in a ruck sack.

I don't mind wearing a small bag but didn't want to look silly. I don't need panniers as I only have to carry phone, keys, wallet.

Just need to choose a bike now!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    My setup depends on which bike I want to bring in.
    I've got a full mudguard, rack & bag bike that has a reasonable load capacity - pannier can take a complete change of clothes + towel & food - or not bother if I don't need it.
    Or on a road bike (when the weather is nice) I either just put my sandwiches in my back pocket along with phone & keys or use a small backpack (was bought as a hydro backpack complete with bladder) if I need to take a few more bits. Cycling Jersey pockets are fine - not had anything drop out - road, TT or offroad - always been fine.
    Shirts can be transported easily by folding then rolling.
    I keep towel, shoes, trousers & underwear at the office and usually supplemented with shirts so I can have lighter days.

Getting hot & sweaty is part of it - just cool down a bit in the last couple of miles and then have a cold water wash in the office.

Puncture kit - yes, a saddlebag with the tools required (I carry 2 tubes, repair patches, tyre boot, tyre levers & multitool in the bag, pump on the frame) and also have a spare tube & standpump at work.

You'll get the hang of what you can/can't do and can/can't carry on a regular basis (I used to bring shoes into work everyday - why?!)
    You won't look silly carrying a small bag.
  • jasondxb
    jasondxb Posts: 59
    Cant help with the commute, but if you are after some cheap cycling tops , pockets at the rear and a small pocket with a zip, look on the sports direct website, from memory that had tops at about 6gbp
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Saddle bag for all the repair bits, jersey pockets for phone, keys, waterproof jacket, British cycling ID card and a bit of loose change for emergency or cake...
  • socistep
    socistep Posts: 88
    I have tools etc in a bottle tool holder, it has tools, spare tube, levers, pump, chain link/tool, puncture repair kit and tyre boot patch.

I then put phone, blackberry, wallet, ID card, and keys into lezyne caddy sack which goes into rear pocket.

I have a lomo hi-viz rucksack which I take in on a mon with clothes/towels etc. and back home on a fri
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    For commuting you cant beat panniers , you can even get ones that keep your shirts flat and you can carry all you need without the need for a sweaty back.
    Use p clips or a seat post rack if your frame does not have rack eyes.
    Some people dont like racks , uncool etc etc but i am firmly in the kitchen sink camp and i even carry waterproofs all year round .Case in point , i took them out and the next day it pissed it down !
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Downward
    Downward Posts: 179
    I have a Axiom Grand Fonde Smartbag touch which sits on the top frame.

In this I have. Tools, Inner Tube,Food, Keys, Money, Card and Mobile phone. Although my new phone is too big for the pocket now.
  • Same as some others have said - I take some shirts, trousers, pants and socks in on a day when I'm driving - can be a bit of a logistical nightmare and I'm sure one day I'm going to end up at work with no trousers to wear. I always leave my work shoes under my desk

Got a topeak saddle bag for multitool, tyre lever, wallet, keys and latex gloves and a small topeak holder on the bars for the phone. I forego my lycra cycling shorts for baggier MTB style ones and this has 2 benefits. Firstly I can squeeze me sarnies in the pockets (mayo can be a disaster mind!!) and secondly I don't have to put up with some of the so called wisecracks about lycra shorts from colleagues!! Spare tube goes in my back pocket
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    You could try a bar bag if stuff is light

Why not pay to get shirts laundered and ironed? Use petrol money saved from not having a drive day

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Carradice saddlebag.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    MichaelW wrote:
    Carradice saddlebag.
    I think I'd do this if I was going to commute regularly